Railroad Forums 

• A licence built Baldwin?

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#894454  by Typewriters

Yes! Cockerill built both the Baldwin 600 series under license and a later model derived from a combination of designs - namely the Baldwin 600 series and the former Lima-Hamilton T69SA / T89SA series, which latter Baldwin had continued to develop after the merger (but not used in locomotives) according to Kirkland.

If you look at my blog (see link in signature) you will find a complete design history of the BLW 600 series engines. The external features will be quickly visible as matching up with your photo.

-Will Davis
 #894502  by Eliphaz

nothing like the sound of a big American straight-eight with eight individual exhausts !
608 powered Baldwins ( and post-war Belgian locs) were the Packards of the rails.Image
 #894746  by bengt

Typewriters wrote:Yes! Cockerill built both the Baldwin 600 series under license and a later model derived from a combination of designs - namely the Baldwin 600 series and the former Lima-Hamilton T69SA / T89SA series, which latter Baldwin had continued to develop after the merger (but not used in locomotives) according to Kirkland.

If you look at my blog (see link in signature) you will find a complete design history of the BLW 600 series engines. The external features will be quickly visible as matching up with your photo.

-Will Davis
Thank you!
I have put in a link to your blog.
 #898646  by hankadam

1. Yes, and what an Agreement! About the time that BLH ceased manufacture of locomotives we negotiated a License (Licence) Agreement with Cockerill. It had an initial term of five years (which would be normal) but then no expiration date: it would renew, automatically, unless cancelled by either party (very unusual). It continued on after BLH closed, and we inherited the Agreement at the Baldwin-Hamilton Company (BH). Royalties flowed in for years, and I mean large dollars. In 1991, when BH was closed, I wrote Cockerill to tell them about our demise and, in return, received a wonderful letter thanking us for all our help for over 35 years.
2. DESIGN CHANGES: The Baldwin engineers (BLW) did a lousy job of converting the A-Frame (cylinder block) from a casting to a welded design. The casting had greater strength in the sides, and rounded corners at stressed areas. The welded version started with thin side plates, mild steel, (1-4") later increased to 3-8" and finally using chrome-moly steel. That basically did the trick, but cracks still occurred at the sharp corners (see the great photos on the earlier posting). Cracking was especially severe around the camshaft box prominently shown in the photos. Cockerill's design was a great improvement and the locomotives and engines gave excellent service for decades in Morocco.
3. RENEWAL PARTS: After a while Cockerill ceased production and no longer supported the locomotives with renewal parts. However, they knew we (Baldwin Hamilton Company) could furnish this vital support and worked with us to provide all the needed parts to keep these locomotives running smoothly (Rabat and Casablanca) Parts were sold with a "Confirmed, Irrevocable Letter of Credit on a major US Bank, in US Dollars) Oh, my was it profitable!
So here we have it, a little history that has not been elucidated elsewhere. Best to All, HAR