Railroad Forums 

• Baldwin coupler assembly

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#889208  by Desertdweller

Greetings!

I am new to this forum, this is my first post. I am a locomotive engineer about to wrap up my career by retiring in 12 weeks.

A friend of mine (also a long-time engineer) asked if I'd put this question to the forum. He has a complete coupler assembly for a Baldwin Diesel switcher, produced in the early 40's. It is equipped with a buffer compressor for switching passenger cars.

He is curious what this is worth, and if any members out there know of someone who may need it.

Les
 #890679  by GOLDEN-ARM

todays spot price for scrap iron, is $325.00/ton.
 #892999  by Desertdweller

Not to worry: it will not wind up as scrap iron (although that seems an attractive price to me).

My buddy's name is Brian Miller. He will be attending the NRHS convention in Tacoma this summer. Anyone interested can find him there. If no one can use it, he'll take it to Wisconsin and use it on an Alco he is working on there.

Les
 #908515  by locomotive112

What kind of coupler (AAR type; D or E Older; Simplex, Sharon, Tower, Climax, Alliance etc..) is on the gear?
 #910281  by Desertdweller

Type E coupler (National Brand, ca.1944), drawbar, and buffer compressor style of coupler(for switching passenger equipment), swivel pin for the back. Baldwin supplied these couplers for almost all of their switchers and many roadswitchers pre-1950.

Les