Railroad Forums 

• Escanaba & Lake Superior Baldwin RF-16A pair

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#854616  by daylight4449

dsrc512 wrote:FWIW, Mr. Larkin is on the board of directors of the railroad museum in Duluth. It is possible that he may elect to donate the two sharks to the museum in the future. It is a worthwhile place to visit, located in a classic railroad station. Most of the equipment is under roof. Some of the noteworthy items are the oldest extant rotary snowplow (which was once on display on the Cadillac & Lake City Railway in Lower Michigan), the first (and only remaining) set of MILW box cab electrics used on their pioneer mainline electrification, a DM&IR 2-8-8-4 which has both sets of drivers supported just above the rails that are rotated by discrete electric motors three times an hour during visiting hours with a taped narration with sound effects, and Soo Line GP-30 #700 which is in service on the museum's excursion train north to Two Harbors where you can see the ore docks and another Baldwin 2-8-8-4.
Alex Huff
ya, so an article on it in railfan and railroad. they don't have a full roster though... :(
 #854617  by daylight4449

well, starting to pull out the big guns. sent and email to the lake superior railroad museum in an attempt to get in contact with Mr. Larkin. working on potential backup plans to get in contact with him
 #854668  by mtuandrew

Daylight4449, I'm guessing you'll hear the same thing from the LSRM that you've heard from Mr. Larkin - silence. They're not in a position to dictate anything to the E&LS or its owners, and are most likely just happy that a well-known regional railroad in their area is represented on their board. It isn't in their interest to disclose that Larkin still owns the Sharks (if any of them know), because Larkin obviously does not want to disclose whether they exist. If the Lake Superior Railway Museum told people that the Sharks still existed, without his consent, Larkin would very likely leave the LSRM board and shut off future donations of money and equipment.

I admire your zeal, daylight4449, but please have patience. If the Sharks still exist, John Larkin will reveal them in good time. If they don't (if they were entirely used for spare parts for the other E&LS Baldwins), it'll come out after he passes away.
 #854778  by daylight4449

mtuandrew wrote:Daylight4449, I'm guessing you'll hear the same thing from the LSRM that you've heard from Mr. Larkin - silence. They're not in a position to dictate anything to the E&LS or its owners, and are most likely just happy that a well-known regional railroad in their area is represented on their board. It isn't in their interest to disclose that Larkin still owns the Sharks (if any of them know), because Larkin obviously does not want to disclose whether they exist. If the Lake Superior Railway Museum told people that the Sharks still existed, without his consent, Larkin would very likely leave the LSRM board and shut off future donations of money and equipment.

I admire your zeal, daylight4449, but please have patience. If the Sharks still exist, John Larkin will reveal them in good time. If they don't (if they were entirely used for spare parts for the other E&LS Baldwins), it'll come out after he passes away.
sorry, but this is all i got left. first my grandfather, then my girlfriend, then all the other crap since then. i'm not about to give up, not by a longshot. there is a chance i can get throught to him, and i don't care what it takes! never back down. never surrender
 #858888  by pablo

You are unquestionably going to be a huge pain for this guy.

It is none of your business what they have and what they will do with it, and if you continue to pester these nice people, you run the risk of getting yourself in trouble.

Dave Becker
 #860457  by Petz

pablo wrote:You are unquestionably going to be a huge pain for this guy.
Should be no problem cause if one of the guys (based at the bases of politness) at least are not willing to type a rather simple negative mail answer they earn to be further treated...:wink:
 #873941  by scottychaos

daylight4449 wrote:well, still heard nothing. NEED IDEAS! and patience is not one of the ideas i'm looking for
ideas?
there are no ideas..
everyone in this thread has been trying to tell you that..you need to start listening! ;)

what you should do is..nothing.
the fate of the sharks has probably already been determined, and has been for decades.
its unlikely they will be scrapped.
probably upon the death of their owner, they will go..somewhere..no one knows where.

People have been trying to get information for 30 years..no one has, no one will..
you are no different than the hundreds before you who have tried..
sorry, but its probably best just to give it up..if no one before you has got a response, you wont either..
to them, you are just another in an endless line of correspondence about the sharks that they ignore..
they probably just throw out letters (or delete emails) without even reading them..

Scot
 #874073  by Petz

scottychaos wrote:ideas?
Maybe someone in this area who owns a model helicopter fitted with an infrared camcorder could do a night flight to look through the storing shed windows.
 #874318  by daylight4449

Petz wrote:
scottychaos wrote:ideas?
Maybe someone in this area who owns a model helicopter fitted with an infrared camcorder could do a night flight to look through the storing shed windows.
alright, i'll just borrow a predator drone from the airforce. i do have one more ace up my sleve
 #874392  by MEC407

Oh lordy.