Railroad Forums 

• About some generators Baldwin bought and sold...

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#635754  by Allen Hazen

When Westinghouse decided to get out of the business of supplying electrical gear for locomotives, Baldwin contracted with GE. GE designed a main generator, the GT-590, to mate with the Baldwin engine, and built (or so it is said) 22 for Baldwin. Two were used on the last AS-416 built for the Norfolk Southern, and the rest were "sold." For reasons explained in more detail in a post ("What WAS the GT-590?") on the GE forum, I am curious about these generators. In particular, I'd like to know if anyone has information relevant to
QUESTION # 1 (historical): who were the 20 un-used generators sold to when BLH gave up hope of further orders for large locomotives, and, in particualr, were they sold back to GE?
QUESTION # 2 (technical): what were these generators like: were they a derivative of some better-known GE design (like, maybe, the GT-586), and could they have been modified to allow use with a higher-rpm engine (like, for instance, the 7FDL)?
 #636174  by Allen Hazen

The final Baldwin AS-416 were built in the mid-1950s, so, as Tomjohn says, they were for the original Norfolk Southern. The name history is complicated. Norfolk Southern became a subsidiary of the Southern Railway, was merged into another Southern Subsidiary (perhaps the Carolina and Northwestern?), the name of that other subsidiary was changed to Norfolk Southern (perhaps because the Carolina and Northwestern's reporting marks -- C&NW, I think-- were too easy to confuse with those of a certain midwestern railway?), and then changed BACK at the time of the merger between the Southern and the Norfolk & Western, in order to free up the "Norfolk Southern" name for the new, big, system.

The old Norfolk Southern had about 16 units of AS-416 (it had a long trestle that demanded light axleweight power), of which all but the last two had Westinghouse electrical gear.