Railroad Forums 

• the Batz Truck

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#540820  by wess

Does anyone have a photo of a Baldwin riding on Batz trucks? I remember reading somewhere that it was a Santa Fe patent and that Baldwin had been licensed to use this truck design. I dont know if Santa Fe,s Baldwins were the only one riding on this type of truck. And I have run accross someone who has never seen it. I know it looks similar to the type B truck but different that it had a lower center of gravity I think?

#540935  by Allen Hazen

I think the OLD Kalmbach "Diesel Spotter's Guide" had a photo of the truck. I think it was used on only a very small number of very early Baldwin switchers-- a number in single digits!
Visually, at least, the truck resembles the pilot trucks of (BLW-built) 4-8-4 steam locomotives of the Santa Fe (and also, i.i.r.c., of one of the norther transcons: NP or GN).
For railroad photo archives: "Railroading in the Northeast" (may not have the wording exact) and the "Fallen Flags" site are good (though it would help, in finding a photo on "Fallen Flags," to know what railroad you were looking for).

#541835  by alchemist

Pinkepank's The Second Diesel Spotter's Guide has photos of three Baldwins with Batz trucks, all from 1939-1940 era. RDG #60 has no model designation, CG #5 is a VO660 and ATSF # 2206 is a VO1000.

The estimable Wikipedia mentions the Batz truck in its article on the VO1000 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_VO-1000 ). Interestingly it was apparently designed as a lead truck for steam locos.