Railroad Forums 

• AUSTIN-WESTERN Division of BLH - Brief history:

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#433254  by hankadam

1859 - Austin Manufacturing Co. (Harvey, IL)
1877 - Western Wheeled Scraper Company (Mount Pleasant, IA)
1901 - Austin-Western Road Machinery Company (Chicago, IL)
formed to sell the products of both companies.
1903 - Western Wheeled Scraper Company purchased the Austin
Manufacturing Company.
1934 - Western-Austin company (The two companies were
consolidated at Aurora, IL).
1944 - Austin-Western Company.
1951 - Austin Western Division of BLH.
1965 - Subsidiary of Armour and Company.
1970 - Greyhound Corporation.
1971 - Clark Equipment Company (Austin-Western Division.
I can copy and will mail a five page narrative history (too lengthy for here) to anyone who asks and sends me a mail address. All the best, Hank Rentschler
 #440434  by rfederle

Hello Henry,

I would like a copy and if you would contact me at my email address I will send you my mailing info.

[email protected]

This caught my eye as we used to have an Austin Wetern Crane aboard ship. It was used as a stores crane (loading and unloading supplies and groceries, light use only). I took the manual home after it was removed from the vessel.

Being from Hamilton Ohio I am always interested in the B-L-H line.

Thanks Henry and have a good evening.

Robert Federle
 #442913  by Dwan

hankadam wrote: I can copy and will mail a five page narrative history (too lengthy for here) to anyone who asks and sends me a mail address. All the best, Hank Rentschler
I would like a copy as I am restoring a 1963 AW Super 300.
Pictures are avalable @ [url]http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/For ... php?t=2015[/url

Thanks

Dwan Hall
9217 Long Run Drive
Juneau, Alaska 99801

[email protected]
 #446558  by marilyn

Hank,
I would like to receive a copy of the 5 page narrative history of Austin-Western. A library patron of ours is interested in making a model of the RG 147 R horse drawn road grader. So any company information will also be of interest to him.
Please send to
Stewart Library
c/o Marilyn Kennett
PO BOX 390
Grinnell, IA 50112

Thank you very much.
 #446571  by mcculp

I purchased a steel wheeled road grader with a name plate that says - Western Scraper Company Aurora IL.

Questions:
Is this company still in business?
This there anyone who can help me with pictures or other information so I can restore the grader.

I am told that it was used in Frankenmuth MI and pulled by horses.
Any help you could give would be apreicated.
Mary :P
 #526697  by locomotive112

Hank,

Do you have any info or suggestions for me to help investigate the maintenance of way rolling stock that Autin Western built?

I am not sure if what I am looking for is Austin Westin or Austin Western, but one of those companies built 3' gauge bottom dump cars for US gypsum RR in Southern California and the cars were really clean and very well built.
I would like to find the builders drawings for them but so far its difficult to investigate since I live in Texas.

Does that sound like Austin Western to you?

If anyone gets copies of the records that Hank donated, please contact me and I will pay you for them. I would like to donate a set to the Degolyer (transportation library on the campus of SMU in Dallas, they need a set of those, and I would like to make that happen.

Thanks for saving what you could Hank, I do the same with what I can find,
David

#528225  by Mike Roque

I got an email on this...
Juanita Waters wrote:Tell Mary, or mcculp to type in Western wheeled road scraper and it should take her to a site through the National Museum of American History which shows an 1892 scraper in the Smithsonian and will give her some colors and details. That’s all that I’ve ever been able to find on our scraper.
J. Waters
 #570602  by ledoge1

Hello there;
I have a roadgrader with serial #K36412660 and the BLH/AUSTIN-WESTERN markings. Could someone please identify what year/model I have and is there a shop manual that can be purchased.
thanks don
 #571389  by hankadam

All the Austin-Western (including BLH) drawings are at the University of Tennessee (Chattanooga). They have no corporate records. It has been years since I talked to them, but note they are an academic institution and not equipped to handle commercial requests, or do research for individuals. Several earlier posts are also looking for drawings, and other data, so give it a try, but don't be disappointed if you get no response. I can no longer help. All the best, Hank Rentschler
 #632647  by eberthelette

Hello Henry,

I would like a copy and if you would contact me at my email address I will send you my mailing info.

[email protected]

Thanks for the detailed information on the Austin-Western company. I have an Austin 147 R that I need to research. You mentioned in the e-mail string that U of Tenn now has the original road grader drawings. What department should I contact to get more inforamtion or possibly visit?

Thanks,
Emile Berthelette
 #730765  by bobj21

Dear Henry,
Please mail me a copy of your 5-page brochure. I am researching a gas operated roller mfg'd by the Austin Mfg Co in the late 1800's.
Bob Jensen
1808 Burr Street
Maplewood, MN 55117