Railroad Forums 

• Location of former Baldwin works, Philadelphia

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#382168  by hankadam

I've been told that ALL buildings are gone. Basically is was Broad and Spring Garden Streets. The exact locations are in a folder, from the Accounting Department of BLW, that I have just donated to the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. Take care, Hank R.

#382208  by CarterB

Here are photos/location of the former Baldwin Works original site.

http://www.philadelphiabuildings.org/pa ... 49EB36ECF7

http://www.philadelphiabuildings.org/pa ... .cfm/47611

http://www.brynmawr.edu/iconog/king/k40a.jpg

http://www.brynmawr.edu/iconog/king/k40aa.jpg

In 1912 Baldwin moved to Eddystone

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/builders/eddystone.jpg

In latter days (1950's) merged and became Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton
1956 last locomotive produced.

Today, F. W. Hake's Trucking Co. occupies this land.

Up until recently, at least, the Admin Bldg (X shaped)shown in above photo was still in existance.

#382265  by overmod

For those with access to GIS software (or a mapping service with current updates):

Center of the cruciform office building should be right around

39 deg. 51'49.76" N x 75 deg 20'14.01 W

As far as I know, it is still there; Google Earth shows it intact.

RME
 #382271  by runnerup

overmod wrote:For those with access to GIS software (or a mapping service with current updates):

Center of the cruciform office building should be right around

39 deg. 51'49.76" N x 75 deg 20'14.01 W

As far as I know, it is still there; Google Earth shows it intact.

RME
Right, but that is the newer Eddystone facility. I am looking for any remaining buildings from the original Baldwin facility near Broad and Spring Garden Streets (approximately 39°57'44.73"N x 75° 9'41.11"W)

#382281  by overmod

Sorry about that -- I missed the boat. Shoulda guessed from the context of Hank's and CarterB's posts, which clearly enough indicated what was asked...

#383515  by hankadam

Back to Philadelphia - - - The works "...occupy about sixteen acres in the heart of Philadelphia..." "The offices and principal machine shops are situated in the rectangle bounded on the north by Spring Garden Street, on the east by Broad Street, on the south by the Philadelphia and Reading Railway Subway and on the west by Eighteenth Street. Finishing, testing and repair shops are also located on the line of the Philadelphia and Reading Railway at Twenty-Sixth to Twenty-Eighth Streets." Quotation from 1907 history = Burnham, Williams & Company or The Baldwin Locomotive Works. The Eddystone property had been purchased (one hundred and eighty-four acres, at that time, later greatly expanded), with the move just starting, and the foundry was among the first, with all completed by 1928. All the best, Hank R.
 #383528  by runnerup

hankadam wrote:Back to Philadelphia - - - The works "...occupy about sixteen acres in the heart of Philadelphia..." "The offices and principal machine shops are situated in the rectangle bounded on the north by Spring Garden Street, on the east by Broad Street, on the south by the Philadelphia and Reading Railway Subway and on the west by Eighteenth Street. Finishing, testing and repair shops are also located on the line of the Philadelphia and Reading Railway at Twenty-Sixth to Twenty-Eighth Streets." Quotation from 1907 history = Burnham, Williams & Company or The Baldwin Locomotive Works. The Eddystone property had been purchased (one hundred and eighty-four acres, at that time, later greatly expanded), with the move just starting, and the foundry was among the first, with all completed by 1928. All the best, Hank R.
Thanks, Hank. I took a stroll up that way on Tuesday, when we were having that nice weather. It looks like it's all gone.

#383548  by hankadam

Back further in history - - - Matthais W. Baldwin started as a jeweler, but later (1825) opened a small shop with David Mason, a machinist, in the manufacture of bookbinders' tools and cylinders for calico printing. Their shop was in a small alley which runs north from Walnut Street, above Fourth. They afterward removed to Minor Street, below Sixth. The early locomotives were in a building in Lodge Alley, to which Baldwin had removed from Minor Street. "A location on Broad and Hamilton Streets (the site, in part, of the present works) was selected, and a three story L-shaped building, fronting on both streets, erected." (1835). If you can find any of the spots today = good luck. Hank R.

#416944  by herbert

I sold some Philly/ BLW building items to the Athenaeum of Philly (cross referenced in another response). One item was a dwg attributed to Mr. Baldwin in 1836 for his shop and related materials/articles of the time period. Not sure if these are available to public as yet. More recently, I sold an artist's drawing of the "new erecting shop BLW" (1890) and an 1868 photo of a Rocky River 0-4-0 on an identified street in Philly-shpos and such clearly visable. I don't know what else they have available for research.

[email protected]
 #1041776  by tonyager

As a follow up to the information about Balwin and his machinist David Mason...does any one know if there is a way to find employees of the Baldwin works? or the smaller company he ran before? I am looking for a Fredrick Boartfield who lived in Spring Garden in 1820 and came to GA from Phili with Mason to work at the Dahlonega mint....thanks for any information anyone might have :) Tonya
miala . net ( at) gmail.com