Railroad Forums 

• Baldwin Drawings

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#12483  by creeker

Dose anyone know were i could get or find Baldwin blue prints of steam locos?

-Eric
 #21405  by N Gauger

creeker wrote:Dose anyone know were i could get or find Baldwin blue prints of steam locos?

-Eric
Usually some will appear on e-bay
 #335319  by lynbarn

Hi

Sometime ago I obtained a set of Baldwin building standards from some guy stateside. I have try to find him again but he has gone off the radar scanner.

As I am making up an electronic version of these notes and diagrams for my railways workshop I will post again when they are ready.

If anyone has any more information they could let me have to add to the project please let me know.

regards

Colin Rainsbury
Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Trust
Devon
England
 #526698  by locomotive112

Dose anyone know were i could get or find Baldwin blue prints of steam locos?
-Eric
That depends on what locomotive you want drawings for. Some are obtainable, some are not. Some exist, but most drawings are gone, even though there is a lot of volume of Baldwin drawings in the various collections over half of it is long gone. The major exception are the drawing sets that were kept by the railroads that bought the locomotive. The Baldwin steam loco customers had the option of having a set of drawings to every part delivered with their new steam locomotives, but many customers did not opt for this option, as it did cost extra. Luckily some RR's did buy the extra set and that is a lot of what is left for us today, as they were kept then donated back to libraries and museums in later years.
Last edited by locomotive112 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #665999  by CraigH

Eric,

New here.

I've been looking into drawings for a specific Baldwin, the 8-18C's, 3 foot Narrow Gauge. So far I've found just over 100 copies of original Baldwin plans and there are quite a few more. Only one drawing is a "general arrangement" style drawing. The rest are specific parts. The drawings are from the usual angles and all have a table of dimensions that pertain to the different classes of locos they were intended for. Baldwin reused the shape of most of it's parts inventory, just changed the dimensions and size to fit the locomotive class it was intended for wherever possible. Basically, the drawings collected so far will serve most of the Baldwin Narrow Gauge products from 1875-the early 20th century. Pretty cool.

To use the drawings effectively, one absolutely needs the locomotive's order sheet. Floating around "somewhere" are also plans books that tell what drawing number to use for each locomotive. I've not found them yet and hopefully they still exist. Leads have indicated some were still around but nobody is quite certain where. The one plans reference I do have came from CSRM and the "Sonoma" restoration project.

Check with the California State Railroad Museum for starters. Any locomotive in their collection that's had restoration work will have drawings available that they have collected. The inventory will not be complete, but it is a start. Another library is the DeGoyer. I do not know how extensive that collection is.

Modeler/hobbiest drawings are only "fair" at best and not suitable for mastering or creating really accurate parts. As I've been working on Baldwin N.G. locos, I've been comparing dozens of them. Only a few are dimensionally accurate. Be careful with them unless they're intended for display or to get a general idea of the loco's proportions.

Hope this helps.
Craig H
 #679235  by sgholly

Hi Craig,

Which specific drawings do you need? We have original linens which we can have made into blue prints. Hope this is of help.

Susan
 #695210  by locomotive112

The Degolyer transportation library is on the SMU Campus in Dallas. They have a huge collection of the old pre 1941 Baldwin "Card" system drawings. Beware that It is next to impossible to find any specific drawing that goes with a specific locomotive that you are looking for info on, other than the erecting card if its in the catalog. Its the same situation with most Baldwin collections, there is a lot of info them but, there is no way to know what locomotives the info is supposed to match up to. I and a few others are working on correcting that in the next year or so. We are waiting on another collection to finish some work before we digitize the two Baldwin filing systems so that anyone could put together a set of drawing numbers for any specific Baldwin Locomotive. Then you could search the various collections, find what is still around and put your blueprint set together and work on your accurate Baldwin project.
sgholly on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:25 pm
Hi Craig,Which specific drawings do you need? We have original linens which we can have made into blue prints. Hope this is of help.
Susan
Susan I assume you work for the CSRRM at Sacramento.

Is it possible to post a list of the contents of the entire Baldwin 8-18C (4-4-0 "SONOMA"& "EUREKA") collection?

What are the copy fees or scanning fees for those original blueprints?

What would a complete copy of the 8-18C "SONOMA" collection cost a person?
 #1139891  by MCRRvolunteer

I'm looking for blueprints of the New Berlin & Winfield #2 SN12996 cause she is being restored also I was wondering if the survived t he flood if they did email me at [email protected] Midwest central railroad could use a copy
 #1373825  by Airbrake Paul

I'm helping restore the 4-8-4 Baldwin SF 2926 in Albuquerque. They have most of the drawings but are very busy with the restoration. Check website. Im trying to figure out the airbrake cock below the engineers seat.