Railroad Forums 

• SD70MAC

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#86598  by TerryC

Why did Burlington Northern Santa Fe stick with the SD70MAC? Why did they not purchase SD9043MACs, SD70Ms or SD70Is
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=78227
keep asking keep learning
Last edited by TerryC on Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#86599  by emd_SD_60

I guess they were pretty much satisfied with the SD70MAC... that's all I can guess.

Personally, I liked the SD70MAC better than the SD9043MAC. It wasn't as ugly. :wink:

#86713  by AmtrakFan

I like the SD70MAC. They didn't need all the Horsepower.

John

#86752  by Joe

It only would have gained them 300HP. And then they would have another type of locomotive to maintain. The 9043MAC is big, ugly, and hideous, reminds me of the SD70ACe....

#86829  by Santa Fe Sucks

Since their primary use is on coal trains, I guess BNSF was pretty happy with them as they were/are.

Another engine type means more parts to stock, more people to train, more money. Sometimes the benefits outweight those costs, but it is apparent in BNSF's case they did not.

#89036  by Bryanjones

BNSF continued to purchase the SD70MAC for coal service, which is exactly what BN had done. The SD9043MAC was originally intended to be upgraded to 6000hp with the 265H prime mover and this is not what BNSF (or BN before them) was interested in for coal service. The SD9043MAC was also a more expensive locomotive. And since the units were intended for coal service there was no interest in DC traction locomotives, which is why the railroad continued to order SD70MAC's for coal service and didn't order SD70M's instead.

Bryan Jones

#105821  by chuchubob

#124997  by Tadman

Some BNSF deadheads on the chief a few weeks ago told me the SD70MAC (they just call 'em "Macs") was a tough-stuff loco that would haul any train you give it. They also claimed the Dash-9's are crummy, that they rattle themselves to death and don't pull heavy trains like coal nearly as good as a Mac.

#125002  by jg greenwood

While handling BNSF coal trains I've ran both the MACs' and the Dash-9s'. Overall, I prefer the 70-MACs'. Some features about the GEs' that I like are the adjustable seat cushions (fore/aft) and the window washer. Hard to beat the MACs' though, It's amazing that two of these bad-boys can handle 18,000-ton coal trains, fairly level terrain that is.
Last edited by jg greenwood on Sat May 07, 2005 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#125007  by emd_SD_60

Yesterday, while out railfanning on the Centrailia Sub, one of the detoured BNSF coal trains had a TFM SD70MAC, #1601, trailing "pumpkin" 8825 with "executives" 9618 and 9828 trailing. I thought that was cool, getting my first TFM locomotive. :wink: Who knows, maybe I'll get a UP AC4400 or SD90MAC one day.

This was about 6 p.m, I went to catch a WC led freight (with WC SD40-2 6005, an ex Algoma Central, leading and GTW 5922 trailing), which was in the siding waiting on a southbound led by two IC SD70's (wow). The southbound cleared, the WC train headed on north, the 6005's piercing S-3L almost giving me a heart attack. :-D And finally the BNSF train, with its ditch lights off and dimmed headlights, was moving north at a crawl, to stop at the signal for clearance. I think that's as busy as Carbondale ever gets. :P Maybe if they left it double tracked north to Du Quoin it would be a lot better.:wink:
Last edited by emd_SD_60 on Sat May 07, 2005 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#125013  by jg greenwood

emd_SD_60 wrote:Yesterday, while out railfanning on the Centrailia Sub, one of the detoured BNSF coal trains had a TFM SD70MAC, #1601, trailing "pumpkin" 8825 with "executives" 9618 and 9828 trailing. I thought that was cool, getting my first TFM locomotive. :wink: Who knows, maybe I'll get a UP AC4400 or SD90MAC one day.

This was about 6 p.m, I went to catch a WC led freight (with WC SD40-2 6005, an ex Algoma Central, leading and GTW 5922 trailing), which was in the siding waiting on a southbound led by two IC SD70's (wow). The southbound cleared, the WC train headed on north, the 6005's piercing S-3L almost giving me a heart attack. :-D And finally the BNSF train, with its ditch lights off and dimmed headlights, was moving north at a crawl, to stop at the signal for clearance. I think that's as busy as Carbondale ever gets. :P
Chris,
Arrange to be in DuQuoin when the UP coal trains are coming off the St. Louis sub and entering the Eldorado sub, all the UP power you want!

#125015  by emd_SD_60

jg greenwood wrote:
emd_SD_60 wrote:Yesterday, while out railfanning on the Centrailia Sub, one of the detoured BNSF coal trains had a TFM SD70MAC, #1601, trailing "pumpkin" 8825 with "executives" 9618 and 9828 trailing. I thought that was cool, getting my first TFM locomotive. :wink: Who knows, maybe I'll get a UP AC4400 or SD90MAC one day.

This was about 6 p.m, I went to catch a WC led freight (with WC SD40-2 6005, an ex Algoma Central, leading and GTW 5922 trailing), which was in the siding waiting on a southbound led by two IC SD70's (wow). The southbound cleared, the WC train headed on north, the 6005's piercing S-3L almost giving me a heart attack. :-D And finally the BNSF train, with its ditch lights off and dimmed headlights, was moving north at a crawl, to stop at the signal for clearance. I think that's as busy as Carbondale ever gets. :P
Chris,
Arrange to be in DuQuoin when the UP coal trains are coming off the St. Louis sub and entering the Eldorado sub, all the UP power you want!
I can see all the UP power I want over at Gorham, even unpatched SP AC4400's! Although I have considered going up to Du Quoin and spend a day there.

#125038  by jg greenwood

emd_SD_60 wrote:
jg greenwood wrote:

Chris,
I can see all the UP power I want over at Gorham, even unpatched SP AC4400's! Although I have considered going up to Du Quoin and spend a day there.
By all means, run along over there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#125050  by crazy_nip

TerryC wrote:Here is a SD9043MAC. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=78227 The only thing similar to the SD70ACe/SD70M-2 are the radiators.

keep asking keep learning
and the engines, and the traction motors, and most of the electronics...

there are very few differences between the SD9043MAC and the SD70ACe...

thats why UP is numbering them right consecutively behind the SD9043MAC's...