Railroad Forums 

• Heritage 1 Dash 9 number

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#69772  by TerryC

On the morning of November the 18th I got my first photo of a Heritage 1 Dash 9-44CW. (Any BNSF locomotive for that matter.) The crossbucks got in the way and I did not catch the numbers. (the last number might have been a 9.) I took the photo in the Fingerlakes region of New York State. If someone could please get a list of the whereabouts of BNSF Dash 9's in the Finger Lakes region on the moring of the 18th, it would be most helpful.

http://trainiaxindex.cjb.net/ out of service 11-22-04
Keep asking keep learning
Reference photo http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=44931
Last edited by TerryC on Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#71882  by CNW_4404_Lover

Wait, you had TWO engines where you didn't see the numbers because of CROSSBUCKS?!

This seems fishy to me

(Read under Union Pacific forum)

#71920  by AmtrakFan

CNW_4404_Lover wrote:Wait, you had TWO engines where you didn't see the numbers because of CROSSBUCKS?!

This seems fishy to me

I've had that problem before.

AmtrakFan

#71921  by AmtrakFan

CNW_4404_Lover wrote:Wait, you had TWO engines where you didn't see the numbers because of CROSSBUCKS?!

This seems fishy to me

I've had that problem before.

AmtrakFan

#74850  by emd_SD_60

Wonderful. First the Union Pacific Dash 9 and now this. :( I get the feeling you need glasses or you just need to stay away from the forum for a while.

#80620  by Tadman

You know, I won't make rude comments to Terry like some others do, but where it says "contributor" beneath his name, I think that's kind of an interpretive take on things... But it takes all kinds to make a forum. This would be a pretty boring place if we all only talked about high-short hood SD40's.

#80664  by TerryC

Thank you so much Tadman for saying it takes diversity to make this forum interesting. High hood SD40s are unique, but there is only so much about them you can talk about.

keep asking keep learning
HAPPY BOXING DAY

#81371  by emd_SD_60

Tadman wrote:You know, I won't make rude comments to Terry like some others do, but where it says "contributor" beneath his name, I think that's kind of an interpretive take on things... But it takes all kinds to make a forum. This would be a pretty boring place if we all only talked about high-short hood SD40's.
I'm so sorry, I just happened to have a really bad day when I typed my response, it was really inappropiate of me. No hard feelings, Terry C. :wink:
 #82208  by Komachi

Terry,

What kind of camera were you using when you shot the units? Analog or digital? Disposable? If you're using a cheap camera to snap your shots, I would reccomend getting something better.

I have a Canon EOS Rebel G that I bought for my experience abroad in Japan (my eyes aren't the greatest and I felt the automatic features were worth the expense) and have since utilized it for that great anti-American pastime of photographing trains. I use the stock lense that came with it, which, although not the best, still gets in nice and tight and fairly wide-angle. 400 speed film is my choice, although Kodak reccomends 800 speed for high-speed photography (but you could do the same by adjusting the apature and shutter speed settings as well).

Of course, you could also get a video camera and use that, then you'd have film rolling constantly and would surely be able to get the unit number (or specific detail you wish to obtain). If you can't afford one, maybe your folks would be willing to lend theirs to you. I have a cheap (under $500USD) Sony Dig-8 that works wonderfully.

Not picking on you, Terry, just suggesting that a better camera may be what you need for railfanning. Still, don't hesitate to ask about things, as your signature says, "keep asking, keep learning."

#82248  by TerryC

I have a Canon PowerShot A20 that my folks let me use most of the time. I took the photo from inside 2004 FS65 School Bus, and I was VERY excited and forgot to get the numbers. At first I thought I left the camera at home!! Our video camera is a 20 year old dinosaur that is tempermental, can eat video cassettes, and weights 5lbs. I do not wish to say whether or not we can afford new equipment.

http://www.merlsbussales.com/bus/chassis.htm
keep asking, keep learning
HAPPY NEW YEAR
 #82921  by Komachi

Terry,

Ah, yes, shooting from the hip from the confines of a vehicle, done it a number of times myself (makes for interesting pictures of Kyoto shrines and temples).

And now for something completely different (or: back to the original topic)...

Have you been able to identify your mystery locomotives?