Railroad Forums 

• Richmond, California "Santa Fe Channel"

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#776053  by meuritt

I keep my sailboat at the end of the Santa Fe Channel. Pt Richmond, as many of you may know if very proud of its wig-wag signal downtown, a place I pass through most every weekend. I've tried to find out some about this town's connection and its RR history, but it is not a very popular subject, apparently. So a few questions please.

I am interested in why the name Santa Fe Channel. Yes there is a rail yard along side, presently being used for automobiles unloaded from rail cars, but there seem to be no connection to that channel for rail. Maybe it was a place for their tugs and barges to be serviced?

The now derelict pier and yard, now a park. i've walked that and think I have a good idea of its use. When was it last used, what was the main use, I would assume freight that then transferred to the SF Port RR. Was there any passenger use?

Thanks
Mike
San Rafael, CA
 #778194  by Gilbert B Norman

Richmond was end of track for Santa Fe passenger trains; Santa Fe had used busses for the X-Bay transfer longer than had the SP, which had ferries in service until 1958.

Santa Fe's San Francisco station was located at Taylor and O'Farrel Sts.