Railroad Forums 

• 2010 Furloughs

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#748413  by Xponder

Rumor has it that another round of furloughs will begin after Jan 1st 2010 as per the normal post holiday man power reduction. However, this coming year could see the ouster of another 3000 on top of the 2700 already layed off from last year which may desimate the NH99 system wide senority roster.

Car loads are down much more than the previous 4th quarter comparison from last year.
2008 4th quarter
(24.47 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
2009 4th quarter
(12.19 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
Furlough count 14th December
(148.05 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
.. :(
 #748878  by jz441

Xponder wrote:Rumor has it that another round of furloughs will begin after Jan 1st 2010 as per the normal post holiday man power reduction. However, this coming year could see the ouster of another 3000 on top of the 2700 already layed off from last year which may desimate the NH99 system wide senority roster.
There will be very little, if any changes beginning in 2010. There was no "spike" in traffic throughout 2009 and the Peek Season remained flat. Traditionally, volumes are high in third and fourth quarter, as consumers gear up for Christmas season, and then in January everything goes back to "normal" levels. The entire 2009 was steady flat!

Hang in there Xponder, this isn't a typical "railroad boom" year... :wink:
 #756934  by GN 599

I would hope that they wont be furloughing many more people. I think in my opinion we are at the bottom as far as the railroad industry is concerned. A lot of the old heads are comparing it to the 80's when they could have brought people back sooner but didnt. The guys that could work worked all the time and everyone else stayed furloughed. I have 8 years in and cant hold my home terminal. They have been running things short out here on the NW Division. I hit RSIA all the time and have made 3k this half and its only the 9th. Yet we have 60+ people furloughed here in Vancouver WA. I dont get it.
 #757148  by Xponder

GN 599 wrote:I would hope that they wont be furloughing many more people. I think in my opinion we are at the bottom as far as the railroad industry is concerned. A lot of the old heads are comparing it to the 80's when they could have brought people back sooner but didnt. The guys that could work worked all the time and everyone else stayed furloughed. I have 8 years in and cant hold my home terminal. They have been running things short out here on the NW Division. I hit RSIA all the time and have made 3k this half and its only the 9th. Yet we have 60+ people furloughed here in Vancouver WA. I dont get it.
SWE Division is being cut pretty heavily right now. Guys with early '04 and mid '03 dates are being left out in the cold. We have terminal managers that INSIST the work can be done with personnel already on the active boards and are not about to recall anyone anytime soon. The furlough stats that come out on Monday will probably be close to, if not exceed, the high mark of 3,092 furloughed June 8th, 2009.

Those 12,500ft trains and management's eye on 15,000ft are killin' the road as each of those trains eliminates two crews for each run. That, in turn, adversily affects the yards as those junior road guys (engineer and conductor) move into the yard jobs and prevent the furloughed from ever getting close to a recall. Many, many of those hired on in '06, '07, and '08 are feelin' like never returning to the railroad and are actively seeking other careers. But, when the recalls begin, maybe the latter part of this year, due to severe lack of personnel, BNSF and the other Class I's are going to rapidly run out of people to fill the vacancies. The railroads will hire like crazy and once again, those with the least experence will be training the new guys, an unsafe situation!

.. :wink:
 #757639  by Xponder

As I had suspected the TY&E furlough report today 01-11-10 shows a total of 3,352 employees cut off, a new record!

.. :(
Attachments:
Jan 11th 2010 TY&E furlough report
(145.7 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
 #760018  by GN 599

Sounds about right