Railroad Forums 

• NS spotted in Colorado (on BNSF)

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#2502  by BlockLine_4111

NS locos (e.g. SD40s and widecabs) are being mixed into the BNSF power pool on freights on the ex-C&S line between Denver and Fort Collins.

What is NS doing in Colorado ?
 #4749  by John_Perkowski

Working the Q main from Kansas City to Saint Joe.

It was hauling a grain drag SB towards Murray Yard.

I stronglyr suspect there is a power sharing/leasing arrangement between NS and BNSF now.

John
 #4804  by LCJ

Class I railroads use each other's power all the time. They pay each other, unless it's a straight lease situation, in use of their own power by the other road. Use of locomotives is tracked by hp/hr as a standard measure. It never actually balances out completely, but they try to keep it somewhat balanced. Run-thru power on interline service is less time consuming at interchange points.

You're likely to see any Class I's units on any road at any time.
Last edited by LCJ on Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#4808  by railroadjeep

Heck, what are NS units doing in Washington!? A little far from home, eh? ON the same day I saw a pair of NS Dash-8's a pair of CSX units in downtown Seattle.
Most likely, I think thier paying back HP-hours. I wonder if it's becasue BNSF interchanges coal trains power and all? Perhaps that is why they have so many foreign units at times?

#19000  by BlockLine_4111

NS is regularly in Denver. Usually the trailing unit in a 2 unit lashup or middle unit in a 3-4 unit lashup. BNSF = "buy NS fast." UP will buy CSX.

#25050  by BlockLine_4111

I saw a BIG blue CR GE splicing a pair of pumpkin BNSF widecabs on a Denver bound mainfest on the C&S line. The CR unit was chuggin' and smoking it up along the backdrop of the Front Range. Guess the CR unit wasn't used to the high altitude and low O2 content.

#26022  by Joe

When BNSF buys NS, they'll just paint all the "NS"s on their locomotives black. BNSF will then equal "Burlington Norfolk Southern Fe"

#40781  by AmtrakFan

Ok I've MRL Units on BNSF also Seen CN and CP in Spring also NS is very Common on BNSF in IL. Also We have in IL a ton of Oakway's over the last few Years also saw 5 Unit Lash Up In NE with a KCS GE on it also saw 2 BN and UP Lashup.

AmtrakFan

#243091  by BlockLine_4111

Some of the NS ex-Conrail blue & white locos pop up here and there in Englewood, Denver and up/down the sub from time to time.

#243096  by GN 599

What you guys are describing is a fairly common. More often than not our consists will have a NS, CSX or leaser motor. Last trip I had a 21st century A-B-B-B-A lash-up with BN SD40-2's as bookends of three NREX ''trail unit only do not occupy cab'' SD's :P . No two locomotives were the same color .There three groups of SD's that run north south all of the time, when you are out there working you notice stuff like that I guess. We have a pretty good variety where I work but the SD's are my favorite.

#245407  by BlockLine_4111

11 AM today in Niwot, 3 unit manifest came up from Denver. Two BNSF orange widecabs and a B&W NS widecab. All 3 arranged "elephant style".

7:30PM today in Boulder, a 3 unit short manifest came up the sub with 3 green & white BN units.

The 2 lead units looked like FP45s from a far distance. Can anyone confirm powering for this train?

Looked cool with solid green BN power.

#245454  by Tadman

I see BNSF power all the time on NS(NYC) in South Bend. They probably have a significant power swap agreement.