Railroad Forums 

• I lost an old friend - Jerry Wayne Martin

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#590041  by lostbrakemanbuddy

Can you help me? I'm looking for anyone who knew Jerry Wayne Martin. He was a brakeman and then conductor on the Santa Fe railroad from 1957 to 1997. Jerry worked and lived in Kansas City and Emporia, Kansas. He was a big, imposing man at 6' 2" and about 230 pounds with brown hair (but bald/balding) and hazel eyes. Jerry had a magnetic personality; when he walked into a room, he naturally became the center of attention.

Jerry was my very best friend. We confided to each other about hopes, problems, secrets, and dreams. We shared good times laughing until we cried and bad times only tears could help us through.

Thirty-five years ago, I moved to the east coast and lost touch with him. Every day for years I kept thinking I would look him up and give him a call, but, sadly, never got around to it. Recently, I finally "googled" Jerry. I found his obituary. Jerry died last year at the age of 71 in a nursing home in Overland Park, Kansas.

I am devastated. There will always be a hole in me now filled with guilt and regret for not having kept in touch. I guess now I'm trying to make sense of it all. I'm trying to find anybody who knows how he died. More importantly, I would like someone to tell me how he lived. Did he have a have a good life? Did he find happiness?

If you have ever lost contact with an old friend or acquaintance, get it touch with him or her before you lose them forever to time and death.

So, please, if anyone knows about the life and fate of Jerry Martin, brakeman/conductor for the Santa Fe railroad in Kansas, email me at [email protected]. Please put "Jerry" in the subject line.

Thank you.