Railroad Forums 

• Chicago Subdivision (Racetrack)

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#42367  by MetraBNSF

I read over on the Chicago Teen Railfan Group message boards that new high speed crossovers are being installed between the Congress Park and Brookfield Metra commuter rail stations. In conjunction with the new crossovers, new signal bridges are up, but not yet operational. Can anybody elaborate more on the new signals and crossovers being installed along the "racetrack"? Over the past few years, i've noticed new signal bridges have gone up east of Brookfield.

#42647  by Joe

I hear they are a lot worse than the CB&Q signals. They have smaller lights and they cause problems. Here is a good picture of them: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=72322

The new ones are in front with the covers, the CB&Q ones are the ones farther down.

#42993  by AmtrakFan

I like the old Q ones much better also when were the Q ones built?

AmtrakFan

#43629  by Engineer Spike

Why do you buffs always call this line "The Racetrack" I think some phony at Trains Magazine coined it. On the Burlington, it is know as the East End.

#43635  by AmtrakFan

Engineer Spike wrote:Why do you buffs always call this line "The Racetrack" I think some phony at Trains Magazine coined it. On the Burlington, it is know as the East End.
Spike,
That's what Pentrax Called it in the BN E-unit Movie also the Rack Track is the 3 Track Main with 140 Trains a Day also Chicago Area Railroading at it's Finest.

AmtrakFan
 #69906  by MetraBNSF

The new signals and crossovers between LaGrange Road and Prairie Ave. in Brookfield are now operational. Yesterday, BNSF signal crews were working at various places between Brainard Ave near the Stone Ave. Metra station and Prairie Ave. in Brookfield. Today, BNSF had a test train pass through the interlocking to test switches and signals. The new crossovers are located between Maple Ave. in Congress Park and Prairie Ave. in Brookfield.

There is a signal bridge governing east and west movements just east of LaGrange Road. The old crossovers are located near the IHB bridge and west of the Congress Park Metra station. Then, there's a signal bridge governing eastbound movements toward the new interlocking just west of Maple Ave. Just west of Prairie Ave is a signal bridge governing westbound movements toward the new interlocking. Why were these crossovers installed? And will the old crossovers remain operational or will they be removed?