Railroad Forums 

• Piggyback cars being stored

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#449191  by grumpyoldman

While driving back East this month, North of Glendive MT, I saw what seemed like miles of piggyback cars just rusting away on the old NP Redwater branch line. I saw some others somewhere else in central MT as well. I guess it doesn't cost anything to just store them on an unused track but I would think they might have some scrap value.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

John

#449732  by Quelin

In Washington we have stuffed empty A-frames into every disused siding and defunct industrial spur known to man.

Even the old mainline running towards Spokane has been filled up with A-frames just sitting waiting for nothing.

2 years and counting. Gonna be one hell of a brake test for what ever conductor goes and gets them.

#450719  by uhaul

Is there some sort of recession?

Star Trek TNG
20th Anniversary

#450725  by Xponder

Recession, yes.

Slowdown in freight traffic seemed to have begun this past May. Apparently the mortgage and credit problems were much larger than we have been told. But, that may not be the entire reason for less railroad activity.

#464742  by route_rock

What recession? If there were a recession unemployment would be sky high and no jobs would have been created.

You want recession go back to the late 70's that was a recession.

Re:

#586851  by KevinCulla9

route_rock wrote:What recession? If there were a recession unemployment would be sky high and no jobs would have been created.

You want recession go back to the late 70's that was a recession.

If the present economic situation keeps up we are well on our way...................
 #590120  by Tadman

A recession is two quarters of negative GDP, I believe. To my knowledge, we have not experienced that yet. That does not change the facts that there are serious problems out there right now with banks, and it will likely affect many including the big three automakers, the Class I's, and big steel.