Railroad Forums 

• Oddball paint scheme

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#63352  by GN 599

I had that 8070 in a consist all the way out here in Oregon. I think someone in the paint shop was screwing around with the green paint and decals the day that unit went in for its BNSF stenciling!

#90206  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

I like it, Looks classy.

#90267  by emd_SD_60

I hate how BNSF insists they must move the headlight from the numberboards to the nose.

#90282  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Why dont you like that?

#90309  by emd_SD_60

I dunno, they just look good in their original locations. But if they're going to locate them to the nose, they should mount them like how Seaboard did theirs (flush mounted in the nose) instead of putting them in a cheesy looking groove. :wink:

Here's a before and after, using the BNSF 7031.

Before:

After:

It just doesn't look good now... :(

If they're going to mount them in the nose, it should be like this:

Sorry, just had to let it out. :wink:
 #90382  by Komachi

Stupid question,

Why would they move the headlights from the number boards down to the nose? I would think that the higher position would be better, as it would cast light over a wider area, whereas the lower position would create a smaller area of illumination. The only upsides to moving the lights to the nose would be that the lower position could push the light beam further down the track and that the lower position would provide greater visibility for vehicles, pedestrians, etc. (but I'm not a lighting technitian, so don't quote me on that!).

As for the question of asthetics, I will agree that the seaboard version is cleaner looking, but the modifications were purely for function's sake, so I guess, whatever gets the job done...

#90389  by emd_SD_60

I think they moved the headlights to cut down the glare in foggy conditions.

#92580  by Hambone

Kind of like SP and their 100000 lights mounted on the nose, I think the "notch" was similar. I don't mind it, it's cool how rr's standardize like that. They should put a mars figure 8 light up by the number boards!

#94088  by XRails

Did you ever see that test Heritage I scheme that used red instead of yellow for trim? I think only one unit ever wore it (Dash9?). I think there was another unit that had two schemes painted half and half on it, but I'm not sure.

#94090  by XRails

Aha! I was actually thinking of the same loco on both counts: BNSF #9297 (SD60M)
http://www.qstation.org/9297/
You'll just have to see for yourself, too mindboggling to explain.

#94216  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Not bad...