Railroad Forums 

• BNSF #5969 Decides to take a Shortcut

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#332986  by Engineer James

Well, got to looking at some pictures and came across these:

Brand spanking new #5969 jumped the tracks. She was heading CSX N903, and derailed at the Ottawa Beach Spur. Sister unit #5792 was also involved. She was almost derailed.

Oops.

(Changed on 1/26/2007 at the request of the Mod.) -ENJ
Last edited by Engineer James on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#332991  by PSNOUS

Thats gonna leave a mark :P

#333274  by Engineer James

Yeah, and on such a new locomotive. From reports she had been out of the shop for a month or 2.

#334101  by NS212

And yet another reminder of CSX's top notch trackage.

Kevin
 #334711  by CSX-COAL HAULER

Kevin-

GO PASS THE HANG TEST ----COME OUT AND SEE SOME REAL DE-RAILMENTS!!!!!!
 #334813  by Komachi

(Off in the distance is the sound of a wailing fire truck siren and the honking of a "doppler" horn. A heavy-duty, Oshkosh-built, airport-style fire engine pulls up and a figure in an asbestos fire suit climbs out of the cab. The figure pulls off the hood and removes the respirator to reveal that he is none other than your friendly, neighborhood moderator. He motions to the rig with his thumb and asks...)

Am I going to need this?

#335578  by Engineer James

Maybe you might.... LOL

#347467  by Engineer James

Nothing a little bending and paint can't fix.

#349305  by Engineer James

Ok, for you older folks Bondo or Goo.
 #349569  by Komachi

Ah yes, Bondo. That wonderful binary (two-part) polyester used mainly for automotive repair, however, Doyle McCormack has also used it extensively in the restoration of his ALCo. PA-4... the "NKP 190."

A little Bondo, a little sanding and shaping, some paint... you won't know she jumped the rails. :wink: :P

#349839  by Engineer James

Really?? Now why does that suprise me??? :-D

#350646  by Tadman

I've never restored a locomotive, but when restoring a car, bondo is a last-resort material. I'm surprised McCormick didn't use more metal welded into place and then grinded flat. Typically cars with older bondo applications tend to experiance bondo-release, where the bondo'ed section of bodywork starts popping out.

#350660  by pablo

Yes, and further, in cases where there is a hard hit (pothole, perhaps, or for our purposes, a hard couple, perhaps?) the Bondo can separate from the metal when used liberally.

My friend had an old 240Z that got hit and hard in a parking lot, and when we finally looked at it, it had cracks in numerous places not there the day before.

Something tells me, though, that Doyle knows exactly what's he's doing, and it will be fine. Furthwemore, weren't all the F's and E's built uisng Bondo to help with the countours? I'd assume since they lasted, Doyle's PA will too.

Dave Becker