Railroad Forums 

• Help for Christmas present for my husband

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#331408  by MrsEngineer

Hey everyone who works for the railroad. I am an engineer's wife and have been beside myself trying to come up with a good gift for my husband for Christmas. Well, just this week, his grip broke --- we go through them pretty frequently as he carries everything in it except maybe the kitchen sink (y'all know what I'm talking about.)

Well, he wanted me to get him one that didn't cost so much (are all railroaders like that?) Anyway- I sort of don't listen to him alot of the time - well, after he got off to work tonight, I got on the internet and did a search on railroad engineer grips. And this is how I found this website and forum. I read an article by J.D. Santucci (Tuch) entitled "Hot Times on the High Iron - Today we look into my bag of tricks."

I thought my husband carried a lot of stuff -- well, Mr. Tuch -- you have him beat (I am guessing) ---- He discussed his grip -- actually 2 grips -- two if he goes on an over-nighter --------------- by the way, if you'd like to read this article -- here is the website: http://www.railroad.net/articles/column ... 051223.php

Just copy and paste it in your browser. He describes the high quality of his grip and I am going to order one (or maybe 2) for my husband for Christmas ---- Like Tuch, my husband is an engineer, he is local chairman of the BLE, sells job insurnace for BRCF & LECMPA; sells life and disability insurance, too --- and is always going in a lot of directions.

To make his gift extra special, I want to fill it up with all the things Tuch described from his grip ------ some of those things, I would not have a clue where to get them -- that's where maybe some of you could help me ---- if its something you can get free at work, could you send them to me? -- I will gladly pay for the postage and any other expenses. I just don't know whawt some of that stuff is -- and I don't know all of the papers y'all have to carry -- I do know of the Rule book and some other big book ----- and Tuch has stuff from his neck of the woods--- I need stuff that BNSF railroaders have to carry --- he runs from Bham to Memphis -- sometimes to Amory, MS ---- and if anyone guesses who I'm talking about -- PLEASE DO NOT TELL HIM WHAT I"M DOING!! I want it to be a neat surprise ----

If you read Tuch's article -- you'll see all the things he describes -- like a trouble-shooting locomotive engine problems and various other books -- pad of track warrants, form D book, Emergency Response Guide, locomotive daily inspection forms, trip reports, delay book, reverser handle, fuse puller, slotted heaad screwdriver?, Leather man's (all in one) tool??, pad of air slips?, book of safety standards, sets if switch keys, the three kind of work gloves (we have some around the house -- they are all nasty and I dont' think any of them match up) -- IC brass key and whatever other keys y'all use, time book (I probably can find one here somewhere, a blue ring (blue flag?) hearing protection (does the railroad give anything besides those rubber things?, crew straps, two straps? ---these are a good bit of the things Mr. tuch mentioned that can be found in his bag --- I'm sure you all have other items you carry or something humorous I could put in there ----- Again, I will pay any of you for any expenses

Oh yeah, binoculars? And MR. Tuch uses them to read signs? I actually thought he was going to say they are for seeing inside people's houses or just people upclose when y'all are bored from sitting on a side track for a while -- I will say my husband does not carry a lumber pencil -- he has a sharpie marker for those special opportunities ---- but his writing is usually on top of coolers -- Do any of you use a Palm Pilot for the rule book? Is it easy to use? If so, I'd appreciate recommendations of waht kind to buy and where/how to get the rulebook uploaded to it ---

Hey --any help with this project will be so much appreciated -- I will also put your names in some kind of binder to include in his grip as being someone who helped me compile all his "necessities" (hey - you might even know each other) --- AND ------ if any of you have a spouse or know of anyone that would like to do the same for someone else -- I will be glad to share all my information of tidbits-- and items I gather. I will call wives --and make the suggestion -- of perhaps just send out an email advertising this kind of gift for a railroad employee.

Does anyone have any other ideas that would make this a fun and memorable gift? I know from being around railroaders for over 20 years, you guys (and ladies) are a special group of people --- crazy - great sense of humor -- pranksters - just fun, hard-working people --

I'm sure I've made this email way too long --- I will appreciate any help with this ---- If I post my email, my husband could possibly see it --- although I don't think he goes to this forum -- he has one he goes to ---- Heck -- this email is so long -- h e wouldn't read it if he saw it --- [email protected] -- hope to hear from many of you --- and again, I will spread the idea to your spouses --- As a matter of fact, I've been wanting to organize a spouse organization --- maybe this will be a good time to do it-- thanks again! MrsEngineer

#331767  by GOLDEN-ARM

You can't get "Hammie" boxes anymore, from Mrs. Louis J. Beers, so I have found a soft sided replacement. Made specifically for railroaders, they are tough, decently priced, can be embroidered by the maker, and you have choice of sizes, colors, and options for pockets, etc.... Try this place, for your railroad grip needs. Regards :-D

http://www.tuffbagoriginal.com/

As far as the "ladies organization" goes, if he is a BLE member, there is already such a place, waiting for you. The GIA/BLE is a branch devoted to wives and families, of engineers, and they support the Union (and each other), in various capacities. You might check it out, on the BLET websight. Good Luck...... :wink:

#332566  by git a holt to it

If he still carries his rulbook you might consider gettig him a palm pilot. The palm zire is a good starter hand held and cost $99. He can put his entire rulebook, gen. orders, notices and such on it and he'll shave 10 lbs off his grip.