Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Accidents

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#323170  by Engineer James

Well, I have noticed a lot recently in the News that BNSF has had a lot of accidents over the past month. Especially along the Route in which Amtrak trains pass. Now, whats goin on at BNSF? Is it faulty equipment, crews, what?

#323272  by route_rock

Saw the in cab vid of a head on in Cali. The one train did everything right the other...... well its pretty graphic and shows they screwed up.
Next in cab vid shows what happens when you leave a switch open and a coal train rolls in at 38 mph hits a derail and then a standing cut of hoppers. Not pretty either.
Rumor has it a broken rail tumbled a Z train on our Division this weekend, cant comment as I dont know the details.
All I can say is excrement happens! Sometimes its equipment crews and Mr Murphy all rolled into one.But all in all we are having some bad days here I am just glad the incidents I have described no one was killed.
About the route,which route? We have Amtrak rolling over at least 3 as transcon trains plus sounders Cali trains and now the New Mexico Ridge Runner as well.In my division we have 8 Amtrak trains a day in Galesburg.So were doing pretty good if its only on one of those routes.

#323294  by Engineer James

The Costal Route along the Pacific, like the route that pretty much affects the Western portion of the Empire Builder, especially.

Erik> Very unlikely, its been happening A LOT, and I mean it. Coincidence, maybe, but its more along the lines of EXTREME. Thank god no one has been hurt.
 #323493  by Komachi

route_rock,

Please note that at 6:40pm CST, Nov. 21, 2006, I deleted one of your postings, as it was a double post and therefore extranious. I have NOT, however, modified any of the content of the remaining post. It is still as you posted it.

James,

Not being a BNSF employee (not that I wouldn't mind it, but there's no way I'll ever be hired there) or an inspector for the FRA, NSTSB, DOT or any other "alphabet soup" government agency that investigates railroad accidents, I can't say what's up.

My commentary on statistics and/or having a "bad/off month" is just a random fact of life. Sometimes, even the safest factory will have a period where there are an unusually high number of accidents. Part of an old proverb states, "To error is human," and whenever there is something wherever humans are involved, there will be mistakes made (and yes, computers and machinery tends to screw up from time to time as well).

So, they're having a not-so-good period right now. Is it a short-term, or a long-term thing? I don't know (I'm not a statistician/mathemitician). Did they have a recent hiring spree and have a lot of "green" employees who are learning the job ("newbies" are usually prone to making mistakes in the process of learning new jobs)? Are there a number of employees working under the influence of colds and flus (I've read on the boards here and there that there are no such things as "sick days" on the railroad)? Or is it just a statistical anomoly that they're experiencing an exponentially high number of accidents at the moment? Karma, mayhapse? For the number of months with a relatively low number of accidents, now they're experiencing a month or two of above-average mishaps? Could it be that these incidents are getting an above-average amount of "press" for some odd reason or another?

The world wonders.

I can't say what the problem is and therefore am not going to pass judgement on the railroad and/or its employees for the time being.

... Unless this becomes a chronic state of affairs.

#323637  by Engineer James

Ok, I was just putting it out there.

#324373  by route_rock

Sorry about the double post ( my computer being stupid) and yes James we have been having a few whoopsies here. But it has happened about as much as CN had it happen a few years ago. Things go in cycles maybe here BNSF wont be having problems in a week but CSX might or someone else. WHo knows its fate.

Dont worry friend James the FRA and NTSB will take care of the issues as will BNSF. I just keep a wary eye out at all times.
 #324422  by Komachi

James,

No, it's good to air your concerns about things like that, however, as route_rock and myself stated, it's just BNSF's turn to have some bad luck.

The management thanks you for your patronage and looks forward to future discussions.

#324933  by git a holt to it

its just the bnsf's turn, the up had theirs last year

#325165  by freshmeat

I'll have to agree, it just happens. Regardless of how the company puts the blameon the crew. Some accidents are indeed crew error, some are enviornmental (heavy rain, snow and ice, even extreme heat) some are signal related (rear end collison on the Kansas Div. where a mouse had caused a signal failure, according to BNSF) and some are just due. There could also be a portion of increased reporting by the media. If it's a slow news day, they've got to find something to fill the time with.

I worked a lot in military aviation and after a long dry spell on accidents, you just knew one was coming, regardless of how much attention you paid to safety. Luckily most were relatively minor and no one was seriously injured. One even involved a 20,000 hour FAA check pilot. So everyone has an off day.

#325720  by eagle76504

Alot of accidents are weather related and equipment failure. Just recently there was a derailment of 16 cars on a main line going into a setout track right before a fueling facility due to a wheel picking a switch.