Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Cab Signal System

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#273357  by MNRR_RTC

Would any BNSF train & engine service personnel here would know if BNSF has any cab signalled territory? Metro-North has 3 lines that are equipped with cab signals without fixed waysides. The only territory that we have that is manual block (dark) is the Danbury, Waterbury branches and the Beacon Line. The only signal you see are at te interlockings with a flashing green for proceed cab, double red for stop and flashing red and green for absolute block (used when the train experiences a cab signal failure. Thanks for the help.

#273498  by RRspatch

The only place cab signals are found on BNSF is the commuter district between Chicago Union Station and Aurora. The cab signals on this section are used by the commuter (METRA) train only. Freight trains are not equipped.

#273687  by MNRR_RTC

Thanks for the info.

#273929  by doepack

RRspatch wrote:The only place cab signals are found on BNSF is the commuter district between Chicago Union Station and Aurora. The cab signals on this section are used by the commuter (METRA) train only. Freight trains are not equipped.
Amtrak trains aren't equipped either, correct?

Since that's Metra's busiest line, I've always wondered why BNSF chose not to equip their freight units with cab signals like UP does for its nearby Geneva subdivision, which runs Metra traffic as well...

#296414  by route_rock

cause the cab signals are a PITA!!!! Plus this is the only area we have with cab signals I believe so why upddate all motors with them for one small stretch.
 #298672  by amtrakhogger

BNSF, aside from the Metra operation, has no other cab signal routes per se. What the BNSF has on the old Santa Fe main lines in ATS or Automatic
Train Stop. This (to me anyway) is a poor man's version of cab signals.
ATS basically is an alertor type system where (via the use of wayside
inductors.) In use, when a train passes a clear signal, nothing happens.
Conversely any other signal than a clear (i.e. approach medium, approach,etc) will cause an alertor sound or alarm in the cab.
The engineer must acknowledge this alarm within 6 seconds or a
penalty brake application will ensue.

Much of the ATSF "transcon" main has ATS which allows for 90 mph
passenger operation.

#298732  by qboy

Well the BNSF line Metra runs on is the BN line and the do actually have cab signals I believe similiar to CCS or ACS signals.

#298837  by route_rock

yes on the chicago sub but not on any of our locomotives only on Metra motors.

#298999  by GOLDEN-ARM

I've never seen a cab signal system on a BNSF loco. UP has them, for a western road (not counting eastern roads), but no BNSF units I have ran, has them. (only run a couple of thousand of them, so far.....) I believe cab signals/ATS or ATC is federally mandated, for pax service now. Don't have my CFR's with me here, in the motel, so can't quote a statute, but that's my feeling. Regards :wink:

ATS

#299017  by amtrakhogger

ATS has (AFAIK) has no display box (like cab signals). Amtrak F40's
had a more primitive version of an ATS system that suppresed the
ATS alarm with an air actuated valve via a control reservoir. After the
alarm is supressed the engineer had to recharge the reservoir manually
before the next actuation/alarm.

Could any Amtrak/BNSF engineers who work 3/4 or SF main elaborate on the ATS system?

#299583  by qboy

I should have been more clear I meant the passenger equipment for metra has cab signals.