Railroad Forums 

• Cleburne Creations Question

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#270221  by GOLDEN-ARM

Lots. Most of the CF-7's were sold off to shortlines, in the early 90's. I still know of one, running on the "original" ATSF, between Amarillo, Tx., and Clovis, NM., and it's still in the original yellow and blue War Bonnet paint..... :-D Those were/are the "poor mans Geep", with most of them still operating, daily. As far as how many, you will have to locate every single buyer, then chase down the disposition, of their purchases. Seek and Ye Shall find, young James................ :P

#276466  by Engineer James

Thanks.

#276962  by joshuahouse

There was a CF7 in York PA at least until late April this year when I saw it. IF i can find the thru the windshield shots i got of it (suprised me and i was on a schedule) I'll try and post it.

#278582  by Engineer James

Can't beat a good F- or CF-7....

#278842  by Komachi

James declared...

"Can't beat a good F- or CF-7...."

A rather broad generalization, don't you think, James?

Oh, I'm sure there are some brakemen (and brakewomen) who would argue that point with you on the "covered wagon" (F unit with carbody). Poor visibility and no real safe place for the switching crew to climb up on and down off of while doing their jobs. There, the CFs win.

Bear in mind there are some applications in which an F unit is the best for the job and there are jobs that the CF is best suited to. But, neither is the "be all or end all" of locomotives.

Although, you are partially correct in that statement, for what jobs they were best suited to, they did them very well. So, in that regards, no, you can't beat an F or CF unit.

#279097  by Engineer James

Erik> I do agree. However, i think the CF7 was a good, idea, however, some pairs of EX-SF F3's or-7's should have been saved, and kept in origional colors for Historical purposes. SF and UP were the 2 Major Western RR's until UP kinda took over.....