Railroad Forums 

• Beep (Update)

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#257575  by Engineer James

So, where is the BEEP know? I hear she might be headed to the Chicago area soon.... just thought I'd ask.
Last edited by Engineer James on Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#258203  by GN 599

I am going to work soon. I will check out her stats. A few months ago I looked and under remarks it said ''held captive at Topeka''. I assume its a shop switcher. In the computer it lists its build date as 41 or something like that. Technically the oldest locomotive we have on the BNSF. Nice link to the pics, its even got AC! She's soooo fine.

#259014  by GN 599

I checked out the ''Beep'' on the computer last trip. Comments are still the same, hold captive at Topeka, shop switcher. They still are using it evidently as it shows its rated for 1500 h.p. and shows 1500 h.p. available. On units they store they show 0 available h.p. so she is still at it I guess. I heard they are gonna paint it up with the new swoosh logo. Just kidding. :P

#262473  by Engineer James

Oh god no. If they do that.... well, lets just say I'll be on the next Amtrak Train to Topeka, and cussing out whoever did the paint job. Does anyone have a guess how many people will bid for her after she is fully retired??
I say the B&O Museum, and maybe the Henry Ford will bid for her. However, Baldwin did make some good VO-1000's that are still working for some roads... so maybe she will out last some of us!!! :-D
 #262847  by Komachi

Why not IRM (Illinois Railroad Museum) or the National Railway Museum in Green Bay?

Personally I don't see the Henry Ford Museum putting a bid in for it, nor the B&O, as I don't see the immediate connection to either Baltimore or Detroit.

If anything, I see it sitting "stuffed and mounted" in front of the Clerburne or Topeka shops as a display piece.

Given the fact that the Beep is more EMD than Baldwin and that she's a popular one with the shop crews (or any crew that operates her), I have a feeling she'll be in operation for quite a while yet.

(Although, I have a feeling that there are others on the board who are much more qualified to make a call on her longevity than I.)

#262996  by Engineer James

oh no doubt. Balwin and EMD have always nade good long lasting products. I would love to see her out last myself.... Hey, a thought. I wonder if enough railfans begged BNSF, if they would maybe do a tour with her. *Just Wishful Thinking*
 #263365  by Komachi

Hey, an ALCo. is no slouch either! (Of course, your moderator is biased toward ALCo. products, as many well know.)

As for a cab ride, I'm not sure what BNSF rules are for that off hand. I think it depends on the roadmaster and the crew (but NOT being an employee, I can't say what is or what isn't). Again, I'll defer to the voices of experience here.

And, James, I think you'd be in pretty good company of fans who would be there to chronicle her last day of revenue service.

#263400  by GN 599

If I see LUFS (laid up from service) or LUPE (laid up pending expiration) I will let you know. I think it will be like any other BNSF locomotive when its retired and be sold off. Usually scrappers bid 1/3 the actual scrap value of the locomotive. So if you have say 10 to 15k when they retire it, it may be yours. Alot of stuff they retire goes straight to NRE so I am wondering if they have some kind of contract.

#299735  by Engineer James

Saw this on a BNSF power listing:

Number Type # of Update
1460 SWBLW 0 of 1 as of xx/xx

she must be around Topeka....

#299889  by Tadman

might be a good idea to drop a line to NRE to notify them there is some interest in the unit, and not to cut it up ASAP.
 #299924  by Komachi

Let's not speculate too wildly about the Beep just yet. As Samuel Clemmens (aka Mark Twain) once quipped...

"The rumors of my death are greatly exagerated."

Let "those in the know" chime in before we declare the Beep dead.

To quote from "Goose" in Mad Max...

"Don't write off the Goose until you see the box go in the hole!"

Any of our friends at BNSF care to validate/invalidate the OOS status of our favorite little critter?

#300038  by Engineer James

Yea, Erik... Just thought I'd post it and let you all know...

GN 599 maybe able to look it up....

#300434  by Komachi

No, I know where you're coming from, James, and it's good to have a heads up on things, just in case...

But I don't want wild rumors about the Beep flying around here without solid information/facts to back it up.

Any comments from the BNSF boys (and girls) out there?

#301910  by Tadman

To clarify my earlier comments - I have no evidence or even hunches the beep is anything but full power in Topeka, it was just an idea that it might be a good proactive measure to notify NRE. I don't like silly rumors any more than anybody else.

Now if the silly rumors of NS+BNSF ever come true, how would they paint the beep? Blackbonnet? Shworse? (swoosh+horse)

(Disclaimer - I have no evidence of any sort that NS+BNSF is true. None. It's just a joke.)