Railroad Forums 

• BNSF/UP Joint Lines - Colorado

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#249894  by BlockLine_4111

What is the status of traffic patterns on the Moffat and joint line to the springs (i.e. colorado springs)?

Are these lines "maxed out"?

Maybe BNSF & UP can coordinate a deal to open up and use the Tennesse Pass route for overflow, lower priority traffic soon?

#250235  by The S.P. Caboose

Last I heard on the Moffat line was 2 BNSF trains, 2 Amtraks and about 20 UP coal trains off the Craig Branch.

I'm not sure about the joint line.

From what I'm hearing, don't look for the Tennessee Pass line to open.

#250358  by BlockLine_4111

The S.P. Caboose wrote: From what I'm hearing, don't look for the Tennessee Pass line to open.
Anytime soon or ever again?

#252419  by UPRR engineer

Never again, trains move alot faster up here, thats where the traffic is at.

#252676  by TB Diamond

Back in 1998 I took a bit of a vacation in the Buena Vista area. One day I noticed a lite SP unit go west through town. I assume that it was operating to Leadville for a pickup. Is there still such traffic?

#252966  by espee

The light moves are no more. That was the Canon City Local that ran to Malta, which is south of Leadville. They picked up cars from the Black Cloud Mine. The Black Cloud used semi dump trucks to haul the ore to the Malta loadout. When Rio Grande rebuilt the load out over 20 years ago, they used hopper cars for the support under the ramp. The hoppers are still there. By the way, all the bridges between Canon City and Buena Vista still have the Rio Grande name on them! SP never did cover them.
I don't know about traffic on the Joint Line as I haven't been there for quite awhile. Did spend about 4 hours on the Moffat Line today and taped 7 trains within that time. There was 1 BNSF, both Amtraks, 2 UP manifests and 2 UP coal trains. The second unit on the BNSF was a Sante Fe Warbonnet.