Railroad Forums 

• Front Range Sub. (CO) - No signals?

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#246186  by BlockLine_4111

Seeking some history on the old BN Front Range Sub. I notice no signals along the line from Westminster to Fort Collins. Was the line ever block controlled back in hey day and if so when were the signals removed? Why is BNSF permitted to operate a semi-busy line with local drills, unit coal, manifests, military and COFC/Autoracks with single track and no signals? I would think this would be taboo in todays litigicious society (but more especially on the east coast).

Thanks

#246524  by TB Diamond

Never ran the line, but am sure that the Front Range operates under track warrant authority wherein the dispatcher gives the train limits within which it may operate via radio. The conductor usually copies same when the train is under way. Meets are set up this way, as well. When a train nears the end of its track warrant authority, it must stop at the last named station unless the dispatcher has issued another warrant extending the train's limits. Any type of traffic control on the railroad is subject to human error. Do you recall the horrendous headon under the Boulder Turnpike back in the 1980s? This happened under train order rules. I doubt if the Front Range Sub was ever under ABS. I know for a fact that the old C&S Cheyenne-Wendover is operated via track warrant authority.

#246549  by BlockLine_4111

TBD-

Thanks for the quick reply, I owe you a few 'cold ones'. I don' t recall that accident b/c it was way before I reolcated here.

#246853  by TB Diamond

The wreck I mentioned ocurred because one of the crew members of the north bound freight train misread a train register. They had authority to check the register at a certain station (cannot recall which one after over 20 years) for an after arrival. The crew member read the register as that day's date when, in fact, it was the day prior. Therefore their after arrival had not, in fact, arrived and departed. The north bound train departed the station and met the southbound rock train right under the Boulder Turnpike. The resulting fire destroyed the turnpike bridge. Seems all the crew members save one perished. BN 7814 was one of the locomotives involved that was rebuildable. That is about all that I can recall about the accident. Oh. make those cold ones lemonade, O.K.? Thanks.

#246862  by BlockLine_4111

Sounds like that location would have been in Westmister, CO if it is the same spot where the sub passes under 36 (aka Boulder Tpke) today. I always see trains off 36 just to the east, holed up in the hole in Broomfield awaiting meets, etc.

What about Ice Tea, perhaps a LI Ice Tea, heh?