Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Heritage Locomotive Fleet

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#174040  by Gilbert B Norman

Now that Union Pacific has committed to inaugurating a "Heritage Locomotive Fleet", and everyone at this Forum KNOWS which property is better managed, what say there be a BNSF 'Heritage Fleet'.

Lest we forget, BNSF commenced operations during 1996, and predecessor liveried locomotives are becoming less commonplace. Moreover, BNSF has seven predecessor roads with distinct identities compared to UP's six.

Anyone care to get handy at one of the 'print shop' sites; hopefully one at which permits URL linking to other sites (i.e. to this Forum)?.

Let us be mindful that five of the predecessors were gone before the "comfort cab' locomotives of today were introduced and be mindful that four predecessors had distinct freight and passenger schemes. Therefore to apply a Frisco passenger scheme (bright Red with highlighted Maize striping) to a C-44 or SD-70 would be breaking ground.
 #174050  by Komachi

Well, the SP&S (Spokane, Portland & Seattle) black and tan wouldn't be too hard to do, as it's almost the same as what the new orange and black scheme is, and would look much sharper on those new EM Diesel and GE units.

I would also think that the CB&Q (Chicago, Burlington & Quincy) "Chinese Red" and white would look sharp as well (unless they wanted to go with the stainless steel/aluminum or white/cream and red pinstripes).

My question would be, for the Burlington Northern units. Would they do the "Cascade Green" scheme or would they do the forrest green and cream scheme that BN introduced for the new SD70s? Personally, I'm fond of the cascade green myself... Or would they also do the standard cascade green, the "white face" and "tiger stripe" schemes as well?

#174113  by AmtrakFan

I would want the Q one as a SD70MAC and the rest as C44's.
 #174356  by EJ&ESDM809

I think it would be a great idea of BNSF to do a heritage fleet. I think every railway should appreciate its past and do one. If that were to happen, BNSF would probably do it on ES44ACs and ES44DCs.

#174496  by Amtrak31

I would also like it if BNSF made a Heritage Fleet. UP did one. Hopefully, BNSF will too. I want to see BN and SF ES44DC's. That would be real cool.
 #174904  by Joe

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Let us be mindful that five of the predecessors were gone before the "comfort cab' locomotives of today were introduced and be mindful that four predecessors had distinct freight and passenger schemes. Therefore to apply a Frisco passenger scheme (bright Red with highlighted Maize striping) to a C-44 or SD-70 would be breaking ground.
But if BNSF made new Heritage units, wouldn't they be on new locomotives? I'm up for the challenge of doin a little digital painting!

#174990  by Amtrak31

Warbonnet ES44DC's would look real nice. I want to see them as a Santa Fe or BN. Either one of those would look nice!