Railroad Forums 

• goodbye katrina, Hello Rita...Galveston under the hurricane

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#169136  by bnsfhoghead

Well i must say it is looking grim for railroads in the Galveston, Houston, TX area. We all saw how Katrina shut down the mighty east coast lines, now the same is about to happen to both the BNSF and UP railroads. I just got back from taking the last train off of Galveston Island. Two former BN GP38's and about 45 mixed cars, mostly plastic hoppers from the port of galveston's railway. The entire UP yard, which is the old GH&H, and MP yard is completly empited out, only 5 box cars sit in the transfer track on the old SP yard. We had six that were bad ordered, and could not be moved left behind at the BNSF's former Santa Fe yard. But being born on this sand pile, i and a few others are no strangers to hurricanes. Alicia blowed in and blew down the old yardtower and quite abit of other stuff that was never replaced back in '83. Now Rita spins away in the gulf a mighty catergorey 5, stronger than Katrina even when it was a cat 5, even Houston is under the gun on this one. The problem is Galveston covers and protects all out laying points. This is the home terminal for Houston, Pearland, Bay city and Dayton, TX. There are both assighned yard and thru freigh jobs in Galveston, as well as the on duty point for all extra jobs called from the extra boards. But it is not all about Galveston. When Rita makes land fall its affects will be felt up to a 150 miles inland. UP's Angelton/Brownsville sub sits close to the gulf all the way to Brownsville, TX. And we run over it to get to Baycity, Port Lavaca and Corpus Chrisiti, TX. This line will be out of service for some time when Rita makes land fall, almost serving all ties to Mexico. Then there is the numerous refineries along the way. Also BNSF's Galveston sub will be down as well. It is a main north, south route connecting the gulf coast to the transcon. They are predicting that the entire line from Galveston to wallis, TX will be under water for some time, thats almost 80 miles of its 218 miles. Galveston to Manvel, TX will be the stations hit the hardest, with Galveston yard under an estimated 18 feet of water, with wind, and storm surge damage, it will be some time before its back running smothly. This is also true for areas in Houston. The old Houston Belt & Terminal lines, Houston's Port Terminal Railroad Association and the BNSF Mykawa sub which leads into Houston, and most of UP's lines will flood. However this is not New Orleans, we are above sea level, its just the damage by high winds and storm surges that hurt. And of course there is the fact that over 61% of off shore oil wells are shut down..And with the evacutions of east Harris county, La Porte, Baytown, Deerpark, and Passadena, TX, over 50% of this countries refining capabilities are off line..And the rest are working at 110% to try to keep up with demand at the pump. Gas prices will top 5 dollars a gallon, and heating oil for all you north easterners will be in short supply.

What do i think? Its time to start drilling for oil in Alaska, and refinning it there and in Orgeon and the mid west. If another major hurricane hits the Florida panhandle on the gulf or deep south Texas, we will be importing over 95% of our oil and all but three refineries will be off line, for some time. But this is what happens when to many Liberals let the Fox guard the Hen House, the eggs come up missing from the basket.

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.las ... 976acbc16a
www.noaa.com
www.khou.com

See you in about two to three weeks.
 #169143  by Komachi

bnsfhoghead,

Don't know how soon you'll be reading this, but I hope you and your friends and family are all safe and sound. Talk to you when you get back, if not before.

I'd like to hope that Galveston won't have to relive the events of September 8-9, 1900, but it appears that history may be repeating itself here. Guess we'll have to wait and see...

#169278  by The S.P. Caboose

bnsfhoghead;

Stay safe.

Look forward to seeing more of your posts in the future.

#169361  by AmtrakFan

I hope Galveston makes it out ok.

#170041  by Amtrak31

Louisiana has had it rough. Galveston was supposed to get hit hard. I have a lot of relatives in Texas, but they weren't near the bad stuff.

bnsfhoghead, stay safe! :-)

#171808  by bnsfhoghead

Well as everyone probaly knows by now, we doged the bullet...this time around. We suffred minor flooding and a few celing tiles were knocked down in the yard office. But the Beaumont,TX BNSF yard was really hit hard as ive been told the yard office there is a mess. But things are returning to the normal daily grind. And UP finally got the bridge in Lake Charles, LA fixed, so we have resumed some east bound traffic...But New Orleans..Thats the million dollar question. Sorry about taking so long to update...just got the power back on at home today...whew..it was hot!
 #171872  by Komachi

Good to hear that you guys weathered the storm well. Downed powerlines everywhere, a few historical buildings burned (which bummed me out, as I'm a historian (or at least that's what the degree says), and the facade of a local eatery collapsed. Not bad considering what it could have been.

Also good to know that business is getting back to normal down there and that you finally got your AC back (or at least a few cold ones). Hopefully the rest of the hurricane season bodes the same for Galviston.

(Knocks on wood)

Keep in touch.