Railroad Forums 

• Daytime BNSF Freight in San Diego

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#1515913  by Joseph1

Today, August 3rd 2019, I saw a rare daytime freight train in San Diego. A northbound BNSF freight was passing by the Santa Fe Depot downtown at around 2:30. I observed it passing by from my apartment, which has a view of the tracks through downtown. This did not look like a regular manifest freight, so I wonder what it was carrying or where it could be going. I noticed that the rolling stock was pretty much only comprised of containers on flat cars. That is also unusual for San Diego.
 #1516211  by Backshophoss

Could have been an interchange run from the Mexican RR there,from an outdated track chart,there was an extensive network
of industry tracks from the station to the border,some of which extended onto piers.
 #1516397  by Joseph1

Backshophoss wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:43 pm Could have been an interchange run from the Mexican RR there,from an outdated track chart,there was an extensive network
of industry tracks from the station to the border,some of which extended onto piers.
It is possible that was an interchange from the San Diego and Imperial Valley Railroad that comes from San Ysidro. The interchange would have likely had to occur at the yard south of downtown though. All of the tracks to went onto piers are removed now by the way.