Railroad Forums 

• Seattle, WA Balmer Yard Dead Trains

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#1476183  by theseaandalifesaver

Hey y'all,

At the Balmber yard there's a line of OOS engines that you can see from 16th ave w. I don't know exactly what they are but they still have GN/BN numbering and look as though they'd make great museum pieces. My question is how long have they been there? When were they last used? What's the reason for keeping them there as opposed to scrapping them and is this a normal thing in most major yards I've never noticed before? Are these old gems sprinkled all over the country just waiting to eventually be scrapped?

Thanks.
 #1476195  by NorthWest

They've been there for a while, and at least a couple are now parts sources-one of the SD9s now has only 4 axles.

Haven't seen as many oldies elsewhere and am unsure of their ultimate fate.
 #1476338  by mmi16

NorthWest wrote:They've been there for a while, and at least a couple are now parts sources-one of the SD9s now has only 4 axles.

Haven't seen as many oldies elsewhere and am unsure of their ultimate fate.
Ultimate fate is most always the scrappers.
 #1476764  by mtuandrew

If any of you know a railroad museum looking for second-gen diesels, have them get in touch with BNSF or your other local Class 1. I volunteered for the Minnesota Transportation Museum for several years and during that time, they repeatedly got equipment and maintenance donations from BNSF and CP (not sure about CN or UP, but I know that at least the Minnesota Commercial Railway also donated.) BNSF gave them an SD9 and miscellaneous cars, CP an old drover coach and a caboose... they get the tax write off on depreciated (close to junk) equipment and community goodwill, your museum gets motive power, everyone is happy.