Railroad Forums 

• Wrong Photo in Train Book

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#158736  by Scoring Guy

:( I was just paging through my copy of the book "Classic Trains", by Hans Halberstadt, c 2001 by Michael Friedman Publishing (owned by Barnes & Noble) and came across a photo "OOPS".
On page 100, the caption reads, "It was a sensational train in many ways and changed railroading in the United States forever, the Pinoeer Zephyr in all its 1934 Glory".
But in fact the photo is of # 9901, one of the two (along ith 9902)subsequent , and not quite identical (to the 9900) Zephyr units originally built for the Chicago-Twin Cities route that were soon replaced by the higher capacity 9904 and 9905 led Zephyr trains.
I suppose the questions here are:
Does this misprint matter?
Should the author & publisher be contacted? and how?
What other errors are in this book?
Is there enough money to be made with RR books that pumping out these kind of books for $ is more important than accuracy? i.e. are there too many train books?
 #160315  by Joe

Scoring Guy wrote:I suppose the questions here are:
Does this misprint matter?
Should the author & publisher be contacted? and how?
What other errors are in this book?
Is there enough money to be made with RR books that pumping out these kind of books for $ is more important than accuracy? i.e. are there too many train books?
It should - it gives people the wrong picture of what the train was.

If you want to contact them, most books have the address of the publisher and sometimes even a website.

I don't know, maybe you should read the whole thing to find more mistakes?

And I'm not sure.

#162189  by Tadman

When I was a kid and I had plenty of time to pore over minute details in my books, I noticed the books written for true railfan interest such as Don Ball Jr.'s "America's Colorful Trains" had correct details and stories that held water. Others that are thrown together by non-rail publishers and mostly bought for gifts or coffee table decoration are not so detail oriented. One had the CTA and South Shore as the same operation. Those are the more profit-oriented books. I used to drive me crazy as a kid when I would see these errors - such as an E7 listed as an F40 or something obvious - and wonder why the publisher didn't hire someone to proof-read their books.