Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Ordering 30 Switch Locomotives- Your thoughts?

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#195184  by Amtrak31

What's wrong with the GEVO's? I heard one yesterday with a very faint horn. It may have been because he was moving about 60.

#195213  by MEC407

I think it's safe to say that almost every "new" locomotive (new in terms of being a new design) has problems in the beginning. Those problems eventually get worked out.

There are reports that the SD70ACe sucks and that the ES44AC is great, and I'm sure there are reports that say just the opposite. A lot of it depends on the engineer and what he's accustomed to.

#195214  by MEC407

Amtrak31 wrote:What's wrong with the GEVO's? I heard one yesterday with a very faint horn. It may have been because he was moving about 60.
Many of the new GEs have horns that are essentially backwards -- one trumpet facing forward, and the other four trumpets facing rearward. Someone on the TrainHorns group said that they're keyed so that you can't turn them around to the "proper" position. I think this has something to do with new noise guidelines from the FRA or something along those lines. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

#196101  by GN 599

The thing I dont like about the ES44DC's is that they wont let you sand over 15 m.p.h. They sure are quiet in the cab, you can hardly tell they are running when they are in idle.
 #197056  by EJ&ESDM809

I like ES44DC/ACs and SD70ACe/70M-2s. The GEVOs have soft, but nice sounding horns. The SD70ACes/70M-2 have a very unique look to them, and seeing different trains is what makes railfanning fun. I cannot imagine how a ACe would look in H3 though. My guess is that they will be used for coal trains with the SD70MACs. I didn't know the GEVOs were having problems. Thank goodness BNSF is finally getting EMDs again. :-)

#198060  by Amtrak31

Excellent *In Charles Montgomery Burns's voice*! Now we have a possibility of 130 SD70ACe's in the new logo. I can't wait to see one of them.

#198061  by AmtrakFan

Reason BNSF is orderedign ACE's are the GEVO are having some issues.

#198070  by MEC407

I'm sure they'll have just as many "issues" with the EMDs.

#198072  by AmtrakFan

MEC407 wrote:I'm sure they'll have just as many "issues" with the EMDs.
Mr. MEC,
That is very true the problems with the GEVO's were the Horns being too mute a few units horns didn't even work, and they had some issues with the DPU link won't function properly it was so bad 1 UP Train using a GEVO DPU Derailed.

#198105  by GN 599

Unless any of you guys live near the Powder River area I wouldn't plan on seeing any of the new aces because I'd be willing to bet thats where they go.

#198114  by AmtrakFan

GN 599 wrote:Unless any of you guys live near the Powder River area I wouldn't plan on seeing any of the new aces because I'd be willing to bet thats where they go.
GN599,
I live by the Chicago to Powder River Coal Corridor (exact location on the left) We often get 20 Coal Trains each way, so I would think we will get some ACe's.
Last edited by AmtrakFan on Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#198115  by MEC407

The problem with the horns is probably at least partially due to the really poor quality control at Nathan-Airchime these days. They don't seem to care whether the horn is in tune or not, as long as it makes some kind of loud sound.

#198465  by Amtrak31

Haha! I remember that very well from the shows, but forgot about it in my post. :wink: