Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Ordering 30 Switch Locomotives- Your thoughts?

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#155284  by AmtrakFan

Nick,
Where were your sources?

#155359  by natethegreat

Does anyone know what model yet?

#187087  by Joe

Well, now I have heard for a 2nd time that they are to be SD70ACes, 30 of them.
They may get some switchers too, but 30 ACes is the word for March 2006.

#187132  by AmtrakFan

Heard the same thing for the ACE's as well there is an option to get 100 more.

#187274  by route_rock

Hmmm I havent heard any of this. But I wonder if we will get one of them switchers here at my job.

#187890  by freshmeat

Worked in and out of Barstow last spring. Saw several of what appear to the EMD GP20D sitting on a spur track near diesel services. However I am the first one to admit that excpet for knowing the difference between GM and GE road power, I cannot tellyou waht they were. They were small switchers with the side windows covered in sheet metal and all the remote decals applied.

#188275  by GN 599

Probably one of those former Santa Fe GP-7's or 9's with the windows blanked out for RCO use only. What we need right now is road power.

#189011  by MEC407

Could the switchers be GreenGoat hybrids, like the ones Union Pacific and several other roads have purchased? They look extremely similar to the GP20D, especially the cab/nose.
 #194086  by EJ&ESDM809

I hope all of these thing I've heard about BNSF ACes are true. I wonder how one would look with the new logo on it. I'd guess they would be for coal trains with the SD70MACs and SD75Ms. I wouldn't mind new switchers either.

#194202  by trainiac

Type "BNSF SD70ACe" in Google and you'll get all sorts of results. Looks like BNSF will be getting 30 SD70ACe's.

#195147  by GN 599

As an engineer for BNSF I hope we dont get them. My friend who is an engineer for the UP who works just as hard of territory as I said they are not impressed with them. They have had a number of problems, hopefully just teething problems. Even the old heads who like EMD's arent impressed with them. I guess we'll see what happens.....

#195173  by AmtrakFan

The GEVO's are having problems reportley as well.