Railroad Forums 

• Head-on collision in Amarillo, TX

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#1394441  by sd80mac

scoostraw wrote:
sd80mac wrote:I would say that the female was on the Westbound.
Is this a guess? Or do you know?
2 men were on eastbound. Didn't you read the reports?
 #1394447  by Mikejf

Copied from the NTSB report, which a link was provided on page 4 of this thread.
Three crew members died in the accident—the engineer and conductor on the eastbound train and the conductor on the westbound train. The engineer of the westbound train jumped from the train before impact and survived with injuries.
 #1394453  by sd80mac

Mikejf wrote:Copied from the NTSB report, which a link was provided on page 4 of this thread.
Three crew members died in the accident—the engineer and conductor on the eastbound train and the conductor on the westbound train. The engineer of the westbound train jumped from the train before impact and survived with injuries.

Read the WHOLE thing. you will figure it out. The answer is there.
 #1394456  by scoostraw

I am not seeing it. The "whole thing" is 2 pages.

Unless there is some additional info elsewhere, I am not finding it.
 #1394464  by butts260

Looking at Figure 1. Derailment site of The Preliminary Report DCA16FR008 now confuses me. If west is in the upper left and east in the lower right, then the divided highway "above" or "north" of the tracks cannot be route U.S. 60, which is south of the tracks on Google Maps. Help me out!
 #1394535  by sd80mac

scoostraw wrote:I am not seeing it. The "whole thing" is 2 pages.

Unless there is some additional info elsewhere, I am not finding it.
sorry... its not in that report. I thought its in that report. but it's in another one.. And it has been circulated all over media.

Sorry for crappy photo, obtained from someone in Facebook.

Smith had 39 years. Owens had been working since 1994. (I hope that I got the names right)
 #1394548  by JimBoylan

This is beginning to remind me of a ConRail drawbridge wreck in Cleveland, O. where 1 body couldn't be found because he had been left behind at the reporting point for a nap.
 #1394551  by scoostraw

Thanks SD80.

The woman's name was Lara Taylor. And it appears that she was the conductor on the westbound. It's too bad she didn't make it. Her engineer jumped, and as she was an amateur athlete you would think she might have also. Actually, maybe she did.
 #1394555  by sd80mac

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Where has it been reported which of the three employees' remains, C&E of the EB or C of the WB, have not been recovered?
you're not really following the news? obituaries - their years of service matches the years in the briefings. Hence I put the name and years in my previous comment
 #1394556  by sd80mac

scoostraw wrote:Thanks SD80.

The woman's name was Lara Taylor. And it appears that she was the conductor on the westbound. It's too bad she didn't make it. Her engineer jumped, and as she was an amateur athlete you would think she might have also. Actually, maybe she did.

I think that its possible that she did and jumped too late and was under the pile or she froze at the steps and rode out the collision, due to the speed of WB. Just remember that, according to some news and reports, the WB speed at collision was 38 mph. That is way too fast to jump off the train. I'm damn surprised that engineer came out alive with more than 45 mph when he jumped. I believe that he jumped way ahead of collision, which would had higher speed. I cant recall the max speed WB was going when EB went through RED, which would dropped WB's green to red. At that point, WB engineer may had got up and abandoned his train right away regardless of train's current speed. Laura may had resisted.... we will never know...