Railroad Forums 

• Chicago Sub signal replacement

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#254006  by MetraBNSF

The Congress Park/Maple Ave. interlocking plant was relocated east of the Congress Park Metra station. The old plant west of the station was removed completely. A new intermediate signal bridge was put up in the place of the former interlocking. I think the interlocking plant was relocated so it can accomodate higher speeds through the turnout.

#273258  by Engineer Spike

When they moved the Congress Park Plant, what did they do about the IHB interchange? I am especially curious about the south side, to track 3?

#279407  by EJ&ESDM809

I don't think BNSF did anything to the IHB interchange tracks. As far as I have saw, they are in the same locations. Now every signal bridge east of Hinsdale has been replaced with the exception of Highlands. They did remove some of the tracks of Congress Park yard also, shortly after the LaGrange crossovers were completely removed. I believe the new crossovers that replace LaGrange are good for 55 MPH. The new crossovers are located between Brookfield and Congress Park stations. The old signal bridges between LaVergne and LaGrange were town down, with the exception of Congress Park a little over a year ago after being left up with no signals on them. The Congress Park signal bridge still hasn't been dropped, but lacks signals.

#280613  by MetraBNSF

Looks like the days are numbered for the signal bridges in Downers Grove. I saw some steel beams dropped off in the maintenance area along the north side of the tracks.

#281125  by EJ&ESDM809

I have heard that there are supports for the new Downers Grove signal bridges in the Downers Grove yard now as well as steel beams. They haven't put up any new signal bridges by Main Street, but I'm guessing thats going to change.

#282779  by MetraBNSF

The supports that I saw about a week ago have been removed from the Downers Grove yard but now I saw some supports and a bridge (no signals) over in Naperville.

#344031  by EJ&ESDM809

I heard on another forum that there was a crane just east of Naperville, near the old signal bridge (where the supports and signal bridge with no signals were). I'm guessing that signal bridge will be the next to fall. Is the signal bridge at Highlands going to be replaced soon? There were no signs of any new signals there last time I went. It seems odd they didn't replace that one when they replaced the West Highlands, Western Springs, and Stone Avenue signal bridges last Spring. In addition, it looks as if BNSF has removed a few more tracks from Congress Park yard. Doesn't surprize me since there is a lack of trains other then a local that use the yard.

#362671  by MetraBNSF

New westbound signals governing East Naperville interlocking are now operating. The signal bridge at this location is almost identical to the one governing eastbound movements at Highlands.