Railroad Forums 

• Tehachapi Double Track?

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#1280592  by trainmaster611

I saw something on the Trains Magazine Newswire that Tehachapi double tracking was part of California's transportation spending plan. I'm not subscribed so I couldn't read the article and I couldn't find anything else online about any recent developments. Does anyone know anything about this?
 #1280598  by Backshophoss

The UP Mojave sub is double track from Mojave to Cable,and from Bena to Kern Jct where BNSF retuns to their own rails.
It might be possible to extend the double track to Caliente from Bena,but not beyond that point, much of the single track hugs
the hills,as seen from Ca Highway 58.
Most of the passing sidings are fairly long in the single track section.
 #1280617  by Rockingham Racer

The state recently funded two projects on Tehachapi: connecting Marcel and Walong sidings, and extending Cliff siding south for a distance of about 900 feet.
In other words, not much at the moment. In the beginning, the plans were a lot grander, and I don't know if all those original plans are still on the table or not.
 #1280697  by Backshophoss

Is tunnel #10 to be daylighted? or another bore to be done next to tunnel #10?
That would create about 5.5 miles of double track including the Loop.
 #1280794  by Rockingham Racer

The origional project mentioned eliminating several tunnels, but did not state which ones specifically. I'd imagine though, the # 10 will go as part of this project; just a guess. BTW, these two projects are priority # 1 and #2 of six total projects.