Railroad Forums 

• news article: "Train's running, nobody's home"

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#145558  by MetraBNSF

"Who would leave 44 cars on a track and the engine running, just abandoned there?"

Makes me think about what MEC407 said. How many times do you see an unattended police car sit outside with the engine running? Let civilians fight crime and pull over stopped trains! Same thing with interstate truckers. Near where I live, I'll see truckers pull their rigs to the side of the road, leave the engine idling, and run into the fast food place.

#145563  by Amtrak31

The more I look at this article, the more I'm starting to understand it. I just saw a patched SP DPU by my house sitting with the engine in idle. At the front of the train, there wasn't a crew. I do think the cops were trying to make things safe though, which is their job.

#145565  by MEC407

The average person wouldn't have a clue how to get a train moving. They'd take one look at the control stand, see all those mysterious knobs and levers, give up and find something else to hijak. Like, say, a police cruiser or an 18-wheeler! Which, I might add, are much easier to find unattended than trains are.

I'm not faulting law enforcement officers for trying to keep people safe, but it's irresponsible to speak with authority about things you know nothing about, and freak out the public in the process. (I find this just as irritating as Tom Cruise going on TV and pretending to be an expert on postpartum depression and psychotropic medications. He should stick with what he's an expert on -- acting in mediocre movies.)

#145641  by Amtrak31

"I'm not faulting law enforcement officers for trying to keep people safe, but it's irresponsible to speak with authority about things you know nothing about, and freak out the public in the process."

I agree with you. :-) Trains idle without crews all the time.

#146011  by route_rock

Heres a blast from the past for you. Right after 9/11 it came from on high that fire departments would have to remove the keys from their rigs so a fanatic couldnt steal the truck and use it as a bomb! First of all its a real pain to drag a hydrant out of the ground when the engine is hooked to it. 2nd A rig that goes missing? get real they are easy to spot for one and two you just let the city administrator know that a 800,000 dollar fire truck was stolen and look out! You think Sherlock Holmes was good tell a politician you just lost money or something of value. and finally ( may I have a drum roll please) if your not dealing with the chiefs car or some other service vehicle Fire trucks dont have keys! :P But we were considerd to be breaking the law by NOT removing the keys ( try explaining that to some barney fife)

#163687  by bnsfhoghead

:-D ..now now...you just have to remember these are the same people who lock the front door and leave the back door wide open. But seems to me like a group of people have way to much time on there hands there. And i would just love to see someone "cram it into gear"... :wink: