Railroad Forums 

• Crossings With Crossbucks

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#147865  by Amtrak31

Hehe. I didn't mean it as I actually ran into them. I meant to say I came across two of them. :-)

#147866  by Amtrak31

I also agree with you. :-)

#148586  by Komachi

Nip and Darwinism, I love it! (Not a flame, I'm a fan of the "Darwin Awards.")

The only problem I see with your comment is that if more people died by their own stupidity, the media would find some way to spin it to make the railroads look like they were the cause of it, because as we all know trains can stop on a dime and/or swerve out of the way to avoid accidents...

Seriously though, if the road is gravel and not used all that much, then it doesn't really justify the expense of putting up flashers or gates. If you feel that it is that serious of an issue, then write a letter of complaint to the department of health and safety (not sure what exact department that would fall under) of the railroad, or the particular state Department of Transportation and voice your concerns. Although, if the DOT, or county highway comission, or whomever has jurisdiction over the maintanance of the roadway, has deemed the crossbucks to be satisfactory in alerting people to the fact that there is a railroad line there and trains could come at any time (something mentioned in Driver's Ed classes), then that should be enough.

#151211  by updrumcorpsguy

Sometimes even a gate won't stop people. I was at an afternoon baseball game at Safeco Field in Seattle the other day, and got bored, so I walked around the stadium for awhile. I stopped at a terrace on the east side of the stadium that overlooks the BNSF tracks and the grade crossing at Royal Brougham Street, where there is lots of traffic of the rail, auto and pedestrian variety. It's just to the south of King Street Station.

As I stood there, a BNSF freight approached from the south, and the bells and lights at the crossing went off, followed by the gates a few seconds later. A mobile unit for one of the radio stations was crossing just as this happened. The driver stopped, and the gate came down on the back of the van, which caused the driver to stop on the tracks in confusion or panic or something. The gate broke off and landed on the tracks.

I was horrified, thinking that there was going to be a collision - the engineer was blowing his horn, but the driver wasn't moving. Luckily, a conductor from Amtrak came running over and beat on the hood of the truck and got the guy to move, but man, was it close!

Since the gate was out of commission, they had to put a cop there for the rest of the game, but I wonder how much this happens.

#151562  by Amtrak31

Wow. I'm glad that he was Okay.
 #151563  by Amtrak31

How fast do trains move through that location?

#151564  by updrumcorpsguy

I don't know how fast it was going - I'm a rotten judge at things like that - but it was moving at a pretty good speed. Certainly enough that it would take a while to stop, especially considering how many cars it was hauling.

#152170  by freshmeat

For private road crossings on BNSF lines there is a white sign accompanied by a STOP sign. Red, six sided.

California and Montana passed a law requiring the sounding of the whistle at all crossings, private and public. That serves two purposes. One it alerts the driver that a train is coming (in case he missed the four 75 volt head and ditch lights that you could cook a meal with) and second it helps keep the engineer alert in areas like the Needles sub where you don't have a lot of crossings, private or public to blow you whistle at anyway.

Let's face it, people are going to be stupid. Heck, I've even seen cops dodge the gates. Of course that was in the middle of the night when he thought no one would see him. We had the road foreman on the lead unit giving a check ride that night and I offered to fill out the dangerous motorist card if he would put his name on it and sign it. No takers!

You buy 'em books and buy 'em books and they still don't learn. What you gonna do?

#152963  by route_rock

Ok lucky me I have been on the Chilly side all last week and possibly more of next week. My question is where in the hell are these unprotected crossings? I have seen gates and flashers on single lane looking gravel roads from Maxon all the way into UD tower. Am real curious so I can see them.

#153080  by Amtrak31

Cooper Road. One crossing South of Lorenzo.
Last edited by Amtrak31 on Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#153304  by Rockingham Racer

Oooh, Crazy, that's harsh. But your first statement is right on.[/img]

#154783  by route_rock

I have seen the one ( not sure what road it is) that is just past Coal City where we widen the distance between mains. As a matter of fact saw some railfans there on monday on the galesburg local. Still if people cant remember basic drivers ed, Yield means you stop if there is approaching traffic, cars, trucks, trains etc, then tough. One crossing east of this one is protected by gates lights and flashers. Plus like I said before there are some single lane gravel roads that have more protection, not sure why this one doesnt.
 #155004  by Amtrak31

That was me that you saw. :-) I'm out there quite often. I was there with my mom and dad. 15 years old, tripod.

I agree with you that people should stop and look both ways before crossing. Did your train have a B40-8 on the point, with a Green BN SD40-2 second? I waved to the crew of the train and they waved back. There was also a crew member in the second engine. I waved and he waved to me also. If that was your train, nice to meet you! :-) Nick

#156193  by Joe

OMG can I have your autograph. :P
Last edited by Joe on Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#156330  by route_rock

Grins well We had the B40 but the second unit was a GP39 with 4 50 air ( all windows and doors open with it running 50) Nice to have seen you out there right now am over on the Quincy side enjoying the LONG run there (ha 5 hours on and off with over 18 at home) so who knows when next I will be up and over that way. Yes I was on the second unit (brakeman for the day)scary ogre looking guy with goatee. Glad to see you and your dad out there and in the clear like you were that week we saw a guy at UD tower damn near on top of the rails at the diamond looking the wrong way for us. It was a bit hairy as Metra was getting its portrait taken we were blowing the horn and this guy was oblivious. Luckily he stepped back.

As for autographs :P Only engineers sign them. My engineer for the Zdenchi had said that he has been going nuts as most people talk his ear off when they find out what he does. Us Conductors however we prefer to give out 8x10 glossies with our wives doing the signing job :wink: You know after doing all those signal sheets and delay reports our hands are tired and we cant sign pretty like most want.

BTW Local has been hitting your area about that same time everynight. So if you see em hold up a sign that says Hi rusty dusty and krusty. I bet they get a laugh and blow the horn for you :-D Stay safe.