Railroad Forums 

• Crossings With Crossbucks

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#144349  by Amtrak31

I've been checking out some spots along the Transcon. I've seen some Crossbuck Crossings. Most of the trains move at track speed 70 MPH by there. We always stop and look both ways before crossing.
Last edited by Amtrak31 on Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#144871  by UPRR engineer

Is there a sign saying private property, no trespassing? A private crossing needs no warning, at least thats the way it is out here in Wyoming.

#145051  by route_rock

If they have crossbucks then they are protected. If not then you are on private property and even those Private crossings usually have some sort of warning sign.

#145060  by nate

I live in NE iowa, and there are pleanty of unprotected crossings here because of all the gravel farm roads. Some people stop, some people die.
 #145105  by Amtrak31

UPRR engineer wrote:Is there a sign saying private property, no trespassing? A private crossing needs no warning, at least thats the way it is out here in Wyoming.
There are two BNSF Tresspassing signs, but where we park isn't tresspassing. People sure do tresspass there though. There's even grafitti on the sign labeled "J2K". I'm guess that's some sort of gang sign? :(
 #145106  by Amtrak31

route_rock wrote:If they have crossbucks then they are protected. If not then you are on private property and even those Private crossings usually have some sort of warning sign.
There are Crossbucks, but that still doesn't stop people from stopping. :(
Last edited by Amtrak31 on Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#145308  by Joe

Warning that train is coming: There are tracks. Derrrrrr. If people can't see the sign and the tracks, well then it's their fault if they die.
I've ran into two of them, there could be more.
That must have hurt. :wink:

#145380  by Komachi

Quite the Draconian perspective you have there Joe, but I'm inclined to agree with you to some degree on that, it is their own damn fault that they let their stupidity overule their good judgement.

I'll second the simple crossbuck marked crossings are on private property, as there are quite a few of those along the Mississippi River line from Red Wing (MN) to LaCressent (MN). Other than that, the only reason I could think of for rudamentary crossings such as that, is that they're lightly traveled lines on back country roads... so in theory, little traffic on either route (road/rail) doesn't justify gates, flashers and bells.

Stop, listen and live... words they teach you in Driver's Ed., words to live by.
 #145394  by Amtrak31

Joe, lol, you pretty much hit the nail right in the head. The two people that died where I was didn't even know tracks were there. I guess they were too drunk to know. Then a westbound running wrong main plowed them, dragging the car over a mile.

Komachi, I agree with you that it is their own fault. Even if a train is coming, they'll still go across. You really never know what the traffic will be like there. A car can come at any time. I saw quite a few that day. It's not a real busy road or anything though.

#146568  by Amtrak31

I was just there yesterday, and traffic was pretty heavy.
Last edited by Amtrak31 on Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#146719  by Amtrak31

Gravel. I'd say over 80 trains go down this line per day, mostly intermodal. The road is sometimes really busy, but then sometimes it isn't.

#147260  by route_rock

K the rail line is the Transcon (Chilli Sub BNSF) Yes we run a TON of intermodal through there and if they meet certain requirements go at 70mph.

That being said it has crossbucks right? It is a crossing on a road that is maintained by a munincipal state or county entity right? If so then its not the BNSF's problem. If we could close it we would. But seeings it sounds like its a farm to market type road then its the drivers responsibility to stop look and listen. You get hit and live you get a ticket for failure to yield, granted if you get whacked by a Z it will be delivered to your widow.

If a train crew sees someone cross to close we can send a nice card to the company grade crossing safety team. Will the problem be resolved? I dont know. I do know that tie always goes to the train!

Stay safe out there look both ways and for the love of mike stop if you have to!

#147261  by route_rock

Almost forgot. BNSF private crossings have a white sign stating that on it. Plus a nice big Stop sign above it. The warnign you get with a train is the headlights the ditch lights and an engineer ----------- ---------------- o------------------------------------- thats the warning you get how much more does one need?
 #147839  by crazy_nip

Amtrak31 wrote:I've ran into some unprotected crossings.
Sorry, but in most states the law says you have to approach a railroad crossing prepared to stop, a crossbuck is basically the same as a yield sign, and trains ALWAYS have the right of way

if people dont stop, or even look, they deserve to die

I think more people should die this way

maybe if trains killed more people at railroad crossings, there would be less stupid drivers out there on the road to get into accidents with the good drivers

its just another way natural selection works