Railroad Forums 

• 2 BN former commuter E9's are back in Northern IL

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#137703  by Tony T.

Being a long time member of the Illinois Railway Museum, I was still surprised when I saw 2 former Chicago commuter E9's basking in the sunshine a few weeks ago when I had my first visit there for the season.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the opportunity to see them, as I wonder where they had been working since being displaced by Metra. They each have unfamiliar crests under the cab windows that I do not recognize. Everything else is mostly as it was when they were in sevice last (although the blaze orange nose stripes are looking a little faded...)

TT

(they must be new arrivals, as they are not even listed yet on the IRM's web site)

#137722  by AmtrakFan

They were used by MARC in DC.

#137861  by Joe

Yep, they were used by MARC for a while after 1991, but soon MARC got rid of them, too. I am wondering where they were stored for the 5-10 years after MARC got rid of them.

#138035  by AmtrakFan

Joe,
I think MARC used them for spare units.

#144029  by doepack

Four former BN (Metra) units 9910, 9912, 9917, and 9925 were purchased by shortline Nashville and Eastern, to be used on their various excursion trains. As of last year, 9912 and 9925 were active, while the other two were stored, probably to be cannibalized for parts...