Railroad Forums 

• Freight curfew during Chicago suburban rush

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#136991  by MetraBNSF

Continue from AmtrakFan's post from the Metra discussion board.

According to a BNSF Chicago Division timetable from a few years back, there is a freight curfew in effect from 5:45-8am and from 4:30-6pm. Generally, eastbound freights will be held in Aurora prior to joining the Chicago Subdivision or they will be held west of the Lisle interlocking.

But it seems that a freight curfew during the afternoon suburban rush no longer exists. Twice in the past two weeks, an eastbound intermodal is stopped on MT2 through Cicero "A" and "B" plants. This forces all suburban trains to run on MT1 and MT3 during the afternoon rush. Outbound suburban express trains will use MT1 to LaVergne or Berwyn, then cross over to MT2. Sometimes, an eastbound freight will come up MT1 after 5p and as a result, eastbound suburban trains have to use MT2 to get around, therefore slowing down outbound traffic. Westbound suburban trains after 5:30p run 10 minutes late because equipment from earlier westbound runs that return to Chicago are delayed.

#137007  by AmtrakFan

I saw 4 Trains last night 1 with the BNSF Business Cars. They seem to no longer have it.
 #137022  by Amtrak31

I saw three on June 7th during Rush Hour. All were lead by Dash 9's. The first one was BRCGAL. The second one was a Stack Train. The third one was an empty coal train. They actually held up a few Metra trains. They were all on track 2.

#137293  by MetraRy

this has been happening since last summer, but more frequently since around april.

#138175  by Engineer Spike

When I worked there, there was no rule about excluding freight. If I had a train that could keep time, in a slot between dinkies, we would go. Sometimes the problem is getting into a yard at the other end. East bound trains might not be able to go into Cicero, or the BRC connector right away.
The real issue was main 4. There are many narrow through bridges between Cicero and Western AV. If the vandals opened a plug door, it would hit a bridge. It would then fall into track 3.
In commuter time, no train that might have plug door cars could run. In other parts of the day you will notice that the passenger trains run only on main 1 and 2. Between W.A. and Cicero

#138177  by AmtrakFan

Very Interasting Mr. Spike thank you for sharing that.

#142240  by Phase Gap

Does anyone have maps of the interlockings and railroad of the area that BNSF controls or can you send me a link to where it is .Thanks

#163104  by Engineer Spike

To add to my last post, sometimes a train will be staged between Lisle and Naperville. This happens usually if Cicero, or one of the connecting railroads, like the BRC can't take it. Mostly low priority trains get held for the dinkies. I have sat at W. Eola, Aurora, and Montgomery for hours.

#166030  by doepack

Phase Gap wrote:Does anyone have maps of the interlockings and railroad of the area that BNSF controls or can you send me a link to where it is .Thanks
On the Chicago Sub, the dispatcher in Ft. Worth, TX has the following control points and interlockings at their disposal. From east to west they are:

Union Ave (A & B plants)
Western Ave (CSX connection)
Kedzie Ave (East and West)
Cicero Ave (A, B, and C plants, C plant controls the BRC connection)
LaVergne (East and West)
Maple Ave (brought online 11/04, replaces the old Congress Park interlocking 1/2 mi west)
Highlands
West Hinsdale
Fairview
Downers Grove
Lisle
Naperville (East and West)
Eola
West Eola
Aurora

Additional note about Lisle: The current interlocking there was originally named "West Lisle", but was changed to simply "Lisle" with the deactivation of the "East Lisle" plant eariler this year...

#166957  by Joe

The plug door rule is still in effect - no trains with plug doors can go under the BRC during the peak rush hours.
BTW, what is so "special" about a plug door that makes it more likely to open or fall off?

I go to school about 5 blocks from where the eastbound BNSF trains stop in Lisle. On the way home from school I'll see a freight stopped there maybe once a week at least.