Railroad Forums 

• Freight Train vs. Car accident along Chicago Sub

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#134637  by MetraBNSF

This wasn't on the news, but I read about this in the local paper today. I saw the end result while aboard a Metra train. Only selected excerpts are listed, the full article can be read by clicking the link below.

Freight train smashes into car, killing driver

By Nina Fox
Staff writer

Published: 6/8/05

http://www.lifenewspapers.com/story.php?sid=7247&pub=10

An elderly resident of unincorporated DuPage County near Hinsdale was killed by a freight train June 6 after witnesses said he attempted to drive his car around the lowered crossing gates in Hinsdale.

The car -- driven by 80-year-old Charles F. Helms of 15 Godair Circle -- was pushed more than 500 feet down the tracks from Stough Street, just east of Route 83 in Hinsdale, and into Clarendon Hills before the train could come to a halt.

Hinsdale Deputy Police Chief Kevin Simpson said police believe Helms was coming from Clarendon Hills and had turned onto Stough Street, headed toward the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway tracks. Around 2:40 p.m., a westbound freight train using the northernmost set of tracks was nearly at the grade crossing at Stough when Helms steered his 1997 four-door Buick into the train's path.

"According to witnesses, and there were several, the vehicle maneuvered around the down gates," he said. "It has been confirmed that the lights were flashing, the gates were down and the bells were ringing."

The train was traveling between 35 and 40 mph when the collision took place, police said. Simpson said the car came to rest wedged between a railroad signal tower and the lead locomotive in Clarendon Hills. Emergency crews needed more than three hours to clear the tracks and extract Helms from the vehicle.
 #135949  by Midwest Rail Photog 89

I fail to see the need for your post.
Last edited by Midwest Rail Photog 89 on Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #136284  by Joe

Midwest Rail Photog 89 wrote:Always a mistake to drive around the gates, ESPECIALLY when they're down and dinging.
So you're saying that it's dangerous to drive around raised gates that are not dinging or flashing?

Hmmmmm.....
 #136286  by Midwest Rail Photog 89

I fail to see the need for your post.
 #136288  by Midwest Rail Photog 89

Also, I never said anything about raised gates. I'm sorry, but I don't know what gave you that idea.
 #136305  by Midwest Rail Photog 89

MetraBNSF, I apologize for the post under yours. I meant to say that to Joe, not you.
 #136329  by AmtrakFan

Joe wrote:
Midwest Rail Photog 89 wrote:Always a mistake to drive around the gates, ESPECIALLY when they're down and dinging.
So you're saying that it's dangerous to drive around raised gates that are not dinging or flashing?

Hmmmmm.....
Mr. Lemay,
Nick has a good point about it he's saying that it isn't a good idea to drive around when the gates are down he never said. When the gates are up you can drive past them. I don't see the point of your post.

#137862  by Joe

And then he covers it up and acts like he never made a mistake. Amtrakfan can't figure it out either...

Anywho if the moderators want to lock this up that's fine by me.
 #137950  by Komachi

(A puff of smoke plumes and the moderator appears clad in ninja garb)

English is a funny language isn't it? Yes, that wording was a bit odd, but it doesn't warrent continuing to beat a dead horse. A few jabs in good fun... fine, but now it seems we're drifting over into flaming territory.

Remember, even if I don't pop in and make remarks in certian threads, I'm hiding in the shadows, like a stealthy ninja. Observing, monitoring... lurking.

Now if we've finished commenting on the "ESPECIALLY when the gates are down and dinging" bit, let's get back to the discussion at hand. Given the fact that the guy was 80, could the accident be due to bad hearing or eyesight (not being age discriminant here, but audio/visual problems tend to become a fact of life when you're 80), besides bad judgement? Has there been a follow-up article in the news about this incident? Just currious.

I'll turn the discussion back to you guys, but if things continue to resemble Johnny Storm (The Human Torch - Fantastic 4 comics), I'll have to lock it and use it for shuriken practice.

(Another puff of smoke and moderator dissapears as quckly as he came.)