Railroad Forums 

• Check out this picture. Outstanding lash-up!

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

What do you think of this lash-up?

Great lash-up
13%
Not the best lash-up I have ever seen
88%

#121037  by UPRR engineer

Cant do 70 MPH with those kind of cars. 40 if those bulk head flats are empty.

#121056  by BlackDog

In our part of the world (CN former WC) those bulkhead flats are good for 60.

#121107  by UPRR engineer

When there loaded i hope. Just at a first glance, i doubt that train is good for 60, 50 or 40 i bet, but not 70.

#121787  by BlackDog

No, empty they have no restrictions.

Didn't comment about the photo though, it's of a once ubiquitous but now uncommon sight. Good shot!

#122113  by UPRR engineer

Humm crazy. Maybe its not as windy there as it is here. SD 40's are my favorite. There the most fun, and they do as there told. :wink:

#125595  by route_rock

Well drop the BNSF logos keep the white stripes on the noses and I will show you my typical train in my youth! Loved watching that many SD-40-2's slug through Orion on their way to Galesburg. Match up s like that were common on ore trains and some coal ( got a lot of C 30-7's and older than dirt U33 C's on coal) and a few just junk trains. Ah the memories of mean green machines.( ok to show my age I vaugely remember GN< SP&S, NP and other merged roads of the BN making their way through Orion as a young kid.
 #131489  by oregontrunkline

Nice if you like SD40s, and there's nothing wrong with that. And it is a very good photo.

But either you're new at this or you need to get out more if that's the greatest you've ever seen. I come from the era when the things first took over.

Some of my favorites are:

Five SP passenger F's in freight service screaming away in the last notch on a steep grade.

Six BN C424s and C425s on an Inside Gateway freight in 1972.

12 SP units of 9 models on a freight circa 1985.

SP SD45 rebuild 7399 in experimental new-style Daylight colors leading 9 GP9s and SD9s up Donner Pass after Roseville ran out of power.

SD40s don't impress me because they are thick as flies here in northwest Ohio.