Railroad Forums 

• What hath BNSF wrought?! (New Logo/Paint Scheme)

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#107209  by Tadman

Some comments on previous comments :

Regarding green to black swap - they should have unloaded that orange rather than the green, the orange fades and looks like hell.

Regarding CSX: I like the paint there, especially dark future. I was always a big Pere Marquette fan, and it's a continuation of the blue/yellow thing they started with the E7's in 1947 and some yard goats.

Regarding NS black: It's wierd some don't like it, as people love to buy black sports cars because they look sexy, etc... I think my dad has had four black cars in 20 years, and repeated no other colors twice.

Regarding the new BNSF in general - anything is better than this crap. I'd really like to see Big Sky come back - nobody remembers it and it doesn't really stand for one road, because it saw such limited use when it came out.

Thanks for a great discussion everyone - it's been enjoyable reading this.

#107319  by Avro Arrow

With the exception of (literally) one or two units I've seen the orange isn't fading that bad.
 #118789  by Komachi

Okay, had another redundant thread started about the paint scheme, and, as I am for every voice being heard, here are the comments about the new logo/paint scheme (call it what you will) that were made.

MR77100 Said:

"So this is going to be called the Heritage 3 scheme? I will put my 2 cents on it: It's VERY PLAIN! The debut paint scheme was more impressive than this! >:o("

Then, Amtrak Fan added:

"Well Said

Then I locked the redundant thread.

Although, I need to ask MR77100, which scheme are you refferring to? The one we are all familiar with (orange & green with "BNSF" on the sides and the "cigar band" logo on the nose), or another one? Just currious.

#118860  by AmtrakFan

I wish BNSF would go back the old Cream and Green.

#118992  by MR77100

For H3, I am referring to this new hideous plain scheme with BNSF speed lettering. I would not be surprised if this is a cost-cutting measure. It's easier to slap 4 letters and a slash on a locomotive than it is to put a logo on their with stripes wrapped around the front of the loco.

#119075  by Avro Arrow

MR77100 wrote:For H3, I am referring to this new hideous plain scheme with BNSF speed lettering. I would not be surprised if this is a cost-cutting measure. It's easier to slap 4 letters and a slash on a locomotive than it is to put a logo on their with stripes wrapped around the front of the loco.
Based on record profits and the that they would have done it cheaper the first time around, I don't think that's the basis for the change.
 #119369  by Komachi

MR77100,

You know, I thought those units looked sharp, although I liked the second one (the NP Empire Builder-esque scheme) the best. Just seems to fit the locomotives quite well, be they a GP10r(m... u?) or a AC4400CW/SD70MAC.

But I'm not a member of the PR Department (or whichever oversight committe is in charge of paint), so...

#119412  by MR77100

The Empire Builder scheme was nice; but what exactly was it called and how many units received it? Is BNSF seriously going to go through with this H3 scheme?

#121706  by Joe

Well, BNSF is getting SOME things with the new logo on it. Saw this (almost) entire train of new BNSF well goes going west the other day.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=122251
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=122252

Of course there were only two 5-packs in the whole train that had the new logo. The rest had the circle and cross:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=122250

#126965  by raildog

Here are some of a BNSF Diesel Tank we rebuilt and painted with the new logo. (note:the font is wrong! We had to pull those off and go with another, but you get the idea)

#127054  by espee

I don't how well this will go over but for my nickels worth and I know a lot won't agree but here goes; I think BN should have kept its original colors. As they bought out other roads, those roads ceased to exist. BN wasn't necessarily coming up with a new railroad. For example, the UP retained their original colors no matter what road they took over. But I admit, the Heritage 2 scheme is awesome!

#127078  by raildog

as a contract shop, and in the loop on things of this nature, the words i heard, EVERYTHING IN THE FLEET WILL HAVE THE NEW LOGO, IF YOU HAVE TO PUT ON A SIGN BOARD, DO IT! how long has it been since you saw a sign board on a new/re paint car? I know one of the engineers, and his has come up with a logo for side post cars that will not require a sign board.

And I was told to refer to the BNSF as BNSF, not Burlington Northern Santa Fe.

Add to this those damn reflective stickers and a mechanical guy will lose his ever loving mind!