Railroad Forums 

• What hath BNSF wrought?! (New Logo/Paint Scheme)

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#99647  by ironken

I'm aware that it was BNSF. What makes me suspect is their wording of the companies name. It is no longer referred to as the Burlingto Northern Santa Fe. It is now simply referred to as the BNSF still owned by the same company. The NS rumors have been floating around forever. And yes the font did pique my interest. I threw that out there for fun and to start some discussion.

#101148  by F40CFan

That has got to be one of the most hideous logos I've ever seen. They really should keep drugs out of the corporate offices. It appears that they've finally been able to almost completely irradicate the Santa Fe.

I didn't notice anyone commenting on the replacement of green with black in the paint scheme. My two cents;

BBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#101226  by Avro Arrow

ironken wrote:I'm aware that it was BNSF. What makes me suspect is their wording of the companies name. It is no longer referred to as the Burlingto Northern Santa Fe. It is now simply referred to as the BNSF still owned by the same company. The NS rumors have been floating around forever. And yes the font did pique my interest. I threw that out there for fun and to start some discussion.
Normally they merge then change the name
 #101402  by Komachi

F40CFan,

Are you sure they changed the paint and it's not just the film/digital image? Does anyone else have another photo of the unit (#740) in the experimental scheme? I've only been able to find it in the previous paint scheme... and the green is rather dark, which would look black in the right circumstances.

Also, as interesting as the prospects of a BNSF and NS merger are and how uncannily similar the fonts of the new BNSF logo and NS lettering are, let's table that discussion for now, or move said discussion to a seperate thread. It's speculation for now.

#101453  by F40CFan

Komachi,

I based my comment on an article in Railfan and Railroad. They indicated that the green was replaced with black. It kinda looks like it, but it just could be the image as you said. I was hoping to hear from someone else if they knew for sure.

#101462  by Avro Arrow

Yes, it's black (at least on company mail I get).
 #101495  by Komachi

F40CFan and Avro Arrow,

Well, if Railroad and Railfan and BNSF corporate mail both say the switch is to black then most likely it is. Kind of a shame, that "heritage" paint scheme with the "Empire Builder" colors Was pretty sharp looking. Black and orange are a sharp combination, when done right, like an oragne paint job with black rally stripes on an old MOPAR muscle car, but this is just bland.

The Burlington Northern "Cascade Green" scheme was simple, but sharp and the Santa Fe "Warbonnet" scheme was really eye-catching. I'm not getting the same thing from the black/orange scheme, at least not yet, as I haven't seen it except for that pic. linked to the first posting on this thread. At least the "Heritage" scheme instilled a sense of nostalgia by mimicing the Builder paint scheme. I know these guys are trying to establish a new corporate identity, but they should use a little more imagination in doing it. Hopefully, something that will accentuate the looks of the GM and GE locomotives and really POP out at people as they roll past. But we're dealing with corporate America here, so...

#101500  by The S.P. Caboose

Okay, just my 2 cents worth. I liked the old "Cascade Green" scheme a lot better. If BNSF wanted the black and orange a scheme like the old DRGW looked better. :wink:

#101588  by F40CFan

Hmmm, Orange sides + black roof = Milwaukee Road. Not so original after all.

#102286  by Gilbert B Norman

BNSF was to be commended for developing two attractive, yet traditional, schemes. Evidently the light Orange scheme "won out" over the "Great Northern" and, for that matter, any scheme based upon BN Green.

Now they put it all asunder.

Long Live Union Pacific Armour Yellow; only wish they could bother to keep their locomotives clean.

#102297  by AmtrakFan

Next thing we know the UP Armour Wings will be Adiods. Also GEVO 7687 will be the 1st one in the New Logo.

#103237  by RailBus63

I'm not thrilled with the new logo, but I have to laugh at the amount of hate being spewed by the railfan community about it.

Is the new logo any worse than a big C S X on the sides and front? Is replacing (extremely dark) green with black any worse than the NS black dip job?

The ATSF Warbonnet is not coming back - get used to it, folks.

JD

#103307  by F40CFan

I agree that CSX and NS are equally boring. The only difference as I see it is that the new BNSF logo and livery replace both classy and classic past liveries and logos.