Railroad Forums 

• What hath BNSF wrought?! (New Logo/Paint Scheme)

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#91135  by arnstg

Nice decision! I've lost count on the number of various color and lettering schemes that are now in use. One more is great to make you really watch what's going by.

If you want uniformity, watch the UP with their Armor Yellow and see how enjoyable that is after seeing 25-30 locos looking the same.

#91138  by AmtrakFan

It is the Ugliest thing around. Looks like UPS logo.

John

#91177  by oregontrunkline

Yeesh . . . I'm guessing it's cheaper than the cigar bands.

#91200  by emd_SD_60

I sure hope they don't put that new logo on their locomotives...especially their SD40's... it looks seriously effed up. :P

#91226  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Looks like a bad photoshop job.

#91264  by Avro Arrow

Obviously BNSF went back to 1990 in their steam-powered time machine (the one from Back To The Future) to get this horrible logo.

Horrible.

#91379  by RiverMP21

ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
 #91469  by Komachi

Avro Arrow,

Actually, it looks more circa 1995... kinda fitting the 10th anniversary theme.

Has it been 10 years already? Sheesh, BNSF formed in '95, UP absorbed C&NW in '95... and I graduated from high school... I'm getting old!

BTW, is it me, or does that angled underscore seem kinda reminicent of Southern Pacific's "speed lettering" scheme?

#91490  by txbritt

Wow, you graduated in '95 too? Cool!

That logo looks like crap, it looks slapped together.

It also denies any immediate recognition to the heritage of either the Burlington Northern, or to Santa Fe as they've dropped that from their name. Sure, we all know what it means, but will future generations?

Crap.

TxBritt

#91497  by emd_SD_60

I say we all go to www.petitiononline.com and start a petition voicing our opposition to this new logo... LOL

My two cents.

#91503  by The S.P. Caboose

Looks kind of like BNSF was going for the DRGW speed lettering paint scheme. Unlike BNSF at least DRGW kept the color scheme at two colors.
 #91508  by Komachi

Well, I think future generations of railfans will know what BNSF stands for (how many of us know what B&O, WM, C&NW, PC or NYC stands for?), but the general public (read: non-railroader/railfan community) may not. That's something the "image" department should have considered.

Personally, I think the circle with the cross reading "Burlington Northern Santa Fe" (the infamous "cigar band?") was better. Maybe this will be a short lived thing? Maybe not. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

#91529  by Avro Arrow

Just call speed lettering what everyone else calls it--"italics." Image