Railroad Forums 

• What hath BNSF wrought?! (New Logo/Paint Scheme)

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#91587  by Tadman

It's not that I think it's ugly, but WOW is that boring to look at! It's just bold typing italics. Any half-stoned graphic design rookie could do that. And that ribbon thing is about as boring and unexciting as it gets too. It would have been better if it had a swirl or lightening pattern like the lightening bolts under road numbers on AC-motor CSX units. WOW that's boring to look at...

On another note, has anybody noticed how fast that orange BNSF paint fades? Between my work near BNSF in chicago and my office here on ex-NYC water level, I see lots of very baded BNSF power. It looks horrible. How about a return to Big Sky?

#91740  by Avro Arrow

Tadman wrote:It's not that I think it's ugly, but WOW is that boring to look at! It's just bold typing italics. Any half-stoned graphic design rookie could do that. And that ribbon thing is about as boring and unexciting as it gets too.
That's the problem I have with it.

#92570  by Hambone

Yeah, that's pretty ugly allright. Looks like a moving company logo.
10 years sure zipped by....hard to believe you can still see Cascade Green after 10 years, after the BN merger things got repainted pretty quickly.
 #92586  by Komachi

Okay, kids...

We had a redundant topic on this subject ("Here We Go Again!"), but in all fairness, I felt the opinions expressed in the other thread deserved to live on, so I will put them here...

Silver_Streak said,
I'm am going to miss the Heritage II paint scheme, because the new logo is ugggggggggg ly!

Avro Arrow added,
Thanks for posting

AmtrakFan commented,
It looks like an NFL team Logo.

John

SRS125 threw his two cents in,
the old logo looks more fashonable. This new logo looks like a boreing speed letter logo with no style or fashon to it. To bad the colorful logo is going

It was at this point that I asked those chatting if they were discussing a change in the whole paint scheme or if it was only in regards to the new logo, then...

Silver_Streak spake again,
I tell you once they start applying the new logo to the 70MACs, it will be a dark day for us BNSF enthusiests!

Then SRS125 responded with,
just saying that the first logo looked a lot nicer than the new one that they come up with.

At this point, it became clear that we had a redundant topic, so I took the appropriate measures.

Now, back to discussing the "Retro '95" logo (as I have thus dubbed it).

#93746  by Mr. Toy

Count me among those who don't like it. I thought it was so bad I made a special trip to this board just to express my displeasure. Looks like it came out of the 1970s. Many companies modernized with simplistic logos such as this back then, only to revert back to their historic logos (or something similar) within 10-15 years.
 #94048  by Komachi

70's? Maybe late 70's, but it seems more mid-80s to early/mid 90s, at least that's the "vibe" I get when I look at it. Like I said earlier, it looks like the stuff that was popular when I was in high school ('91-'95).

Being a Historian (at least that's what the diploma says), I think the "cigar band" circle and cross with the "Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway" writing went much better with the paint scheme and gave a nod to the Santa Fe Heritage of the partnership.

Also, the logo just doesn't fit the overal look of the paint scheme. Sharp, angular lines against the curved, flowing lines of the green and the pinstripes. Yes, it stands out (some would say "pops" out) from the rest of the paint scheme (as is probably the point), but it does so like a sore thumb. Ramond Lowey inspired, it is not.

#94051  by metra 613

how cheap can u get it looks like a two year old made it

#94083  by XRails

It looks like an NFL team Logo.
Heck, just about every NFL club looks better than that! Did you ever notice how the Giants dropped their old logo "speed lettering 'GIANTS'" and went back to the Retro "NY"? Which looks better? The retro look works because it is bold and gritty, like the old BNSF block lettering was.

In the NFL theme let's hope this is like the 49ers "24 hour" logo, a proposed change in the early '90s that was retracted within 24 hours due to public outrage.
 #94246  by 2nd trick op

Have to say I like it.

No fancy double-entendere among the letters, like so many logos from the 1970's.

The predominately orange/green color scheme is reminiscent of the Empire Builder.

And the slant on the letters evokes memories of the Rio Grande, IMHO, the finest rail logo ever created.

Beats the hype out of the "Vomit-Bonnet" for sure.

"Outside of a dog, a good book is a man's best friend; and inside of a dog, it's too dark to read, anyway." (the one-the only-Groucho)

#95063  by trainiac

I agree with most of the posts above. It looks OK on the side of the hood, but it's boring! Bold text with a triangle underneath--no curves! And it looks AWFUL on the nose!!

#95115  by AmtrakFan

Well who ever thought of that must of done the NS horse.

#97242  by inkycavz24

Someone needs to be shot for that. My Railroad Operations teacher works for the BNSF, and I am going to let him know how bad it is every day.

#97571  by Avro Arrow

inkycavz24 wrote:Someone needs to be shot for that. My Railroad Operations teacher works for the BNSF, and I am going to let him know how bad it is every day.
I'm sure he cares, too.

#99522  by ironken

Try this one on for size. B NS F. Think about it........I really don't give a rip about paint schemes or who's locos look best as long as the A/C or heat works. What I care about are mergers and screwing up my seniority. Lotsa B NS F rumors floating about. Seems unlikely that the STB would let annother big merger go down, but, who knows??????

#99533  by Avro Arrow

ironken wrote:Try this one on for size. B NS F. Think about it........I really don't give a rip about paint schemes or who's locos look best as long as the A/C or heat works. What I care about are mergers and screwing up my seniority. Lotsa B NS F rumors floating about. Seems unlikely that the STB would let annother big merger go down, but, who knows??????
It was BNSF before the paint scheme, you know. How do you get the "NS" out of it? Because they changed the font?

I've heard the rumors too, and we will eventually merge with someone else. But it's not going to happen soon.