Railroad Forums 

• New Power (C39-8s, SD40-2s, etc)

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1058019  by doublestack

Yup, your correct. Mostly 40-2's
The seven units are:
three GE C39-8's from New Hope & Ivyland railroad #8202, #8207 and #8208
two SD40-2's leased from CPrail #5904 and 5991
two of their own Derby yard rebuilt's, SD40-2's #5364 and 5374
 #1058509  by fogg1703

My initial thought was what about the locomotives that were freed up by the MNR takeover of the Aroostook lines, but I d0 remember hearing somewhere that MNR was leasing one or two MMA GE's and then add the unit oil trains units being tied up for 2-3 days on their Montreal-St John and return duty and on paper they are short of power. Add in the newly arrived unit windmill train and any potential traffic from Cates and more power will be in order. Should be interesting to see how the all 6 axle lot arrive; 2 CR blue GE's, a NS black GE, 2 CN SD40's and the 2 "clean" CP SD40's. Talk about a dog's breakfast.
 #1062606  by CN9634

Word is 2 of the 3 C39-8's are en route from PA. Headed CSX, NECR, VRS, MMA
 #1067175  by MEC407

It was mentioned in this article that the C39s will be rebuilt. I wonder if they'll also be repainted...
 #1069463  by KSmitty

MEC407 wrote:It was mentioned in this article that the C39s will be rebuilt. I wonder if they'll also be repainted...
Heres hoping, but I wouldn't count on it. They've rebuilt other locomotives and not repainted them, 3000 comes to mind. What I'll be most interested to see is if they renumber them. Of late, the B23's, they've renumbered them, but the "original" MMA power has kept the road numbers of previous owners.
 #1069467  by MEC407

Yes, I immediately thought of the 3000 when I was writing that comment. The big difference is that the 3000's existing paint job was already in great condition when they rebuilt it, so it would've been kind of wasteful to repaint it.

Regarding the numbers, I imagine it'll be a matter of whether or not there are conflicts with existing MMA rolling stock. I suspect that was the case with the B23s... the Santa Fe numbers must've conflicted with MMA freight cars or something.
 #1069581  by cpr2816

don't think it will happen, they need power now , so paint can wait .

They just have to do like they did on their 36xx and apply the logo on the nose and on the side .
 #1070297  by CN9634

Saw some pics of these things at Selkirk... man they are beat. They are currently at Palmer to head Nawth to MMA and east to Maine
 #1070442  by KSmitty

Its pretty obvious, after looking at them, why they will be rebuilt before entering service...Lots of rust to go around and some missing parts here and there. And to top it all off it looks like the vandals got to a couple of them, broken windows and number boards on a couple units.

Considering they haven't even hit the property yet theres a decent number of photos of them.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoLi ... MMA&mid=30
 #1071061  by atsf sp

Where are these now? They still in Palmer because I will be in Palmer and ED on the 10th and it would be awesome to see one of these beasts again. I have only caught one straight C39 in Altoona over 10 years ago.
 #1071091  by KSmitty

Last report I saw said imterchanged to NECR at Palmer last night. No idea if they will move up north or not before the 10th.
 #1071569  by atsf sp

I didnt see the units in Palmer or ED today.