Railroad Forums 

• Oil Trains

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1272878  by necr3849

I don't even work on a railroad, yet I've been going "SERIOUSLY?" a lot of times on here lately. Phhhh, 12 hours on a train....Not much an engineer has to do.....Are you for real, Ken? You like one of those on here who likes to push their degree papers around whenever you're feeling threatened? Moving a train alone takes major concentration and knowledge. Never mind having to be aware of ignorance everywhere you bring those trains. Reflex time is huge. Memory factor is huge. Safety is key for both conductors and engineers just to get to their destinations on a normal day.

I work in the trenches, too. Just not in the railroad world. I would take a greenish kid who likes to get dirty and use his hands over some cubical nerd full of a classroom touted education and no hands-on experience any day of the week. At least my green-back doesn't need a smart phone to take a shit, but anyway.....You can't just go changing things that have been in place for generations. Perhaps over time it could work to an extent, but like a million times in modern history, the saying, " Well, it looked good on paper" just wouldn't cut it.