Railroad Forums 

• Big Macs coming to MMA?

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1100848  by MEC407

Anyone? Bueller?
 #1100860  by necr3849

As of mid-September, at least two were still outside the complex at Derby. Sorry no pic(s) this time. It didn't look like they were going anywhere soon.
 #1180104  by MEC407

The four SD90MACs are now listed for sale on the Ozark Mountain Railcar web site: $130K each, which I suspect is not a whole lot more than scrap value.

8534: http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/det ... C-8534-NEW

8542: http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/det ... C-8542-NEW

8555: http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/det ... C-8555-NEW

8560: http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/det ... C-8560-NEW
 #1180124  by MEC407

ShortlinesUSA wrote:The MACs are coming to Derby for rebuild. Will not leave as scrap. Any info past that is mum, as part of a proprietary deal.
That deal fell through, I take it...?
 #1180273  by fogg1703

So what has done these beasts in; unreliability, cost, weight, repairs too costly? MMA's power woes of a couple of months ago before the CP and CITX units came on property would have seemed like an ideal time to turn these units loose on the Moosehead with crude tonnage. They can't be that much different than the Mac's VTR is running on their less than beefy lines.
 #1180445  by MEC407

I've heard (and seen video) that the SD90MACs had/have a pretty bad problem with "hunting" -- side-to-side motion when operating at normal track speeds. For whatever reason, this doesn't seem to be nearly as much of a problem with the other Big Macs (70 series and 80 series). I'm not sure if it's a problem at lower speeds (less than 40). This UP SD90MAC was hunting pretty badly: http://youtu.be/IAKhgr9pzH8?t=1m

I think the various gremlins in the H-engine 90MACs are the bigger problem, considering that UP still owns and uses their "convertible" 90MACs (with 4300 HP 710s under the hood), as seen in the above video, but quickly got rid of the H-engine units (as did Canadian Pacific).

The weight doesn't strike me as being too much of a problem, and the size/length is somewhat mitigated by the radial trucks... but, again, the hunting certainly can't be great for track, especially track that isn't in excellent shape to begin with.

I'm now hearing rumors that these four units at Derby were/are owned by Ross Rowland, who (according to Wikipedia) is involved in the rail preservation field. Perhaps Mr. Rowland acquired the units, sent them to Derby for repairs/rebuilds, but then something came up and the project had to be canceled. Just guessing/speculation on my part.
 #1180500  by MEC407

CN, can you tell us what the "project" actually is (or was)?
 #1180516  by CN9634

Welllllllllll its a long story but a notable engineer up here was looking to convert them to natural gas or gas turbine units as a new green locomotive but let's just say the funding was spotty and inconsistent. The units never belongs to the MMA, they were really just a contractor/landlord for the units.
 #1180532  by MEC407

Interesting. Thanks. :)
 #1185043  by rovetherr

MEC407 wrote:I've heard (and seen video) that the SD90MACs had/have a pretty bad problem with "hunting" -- side-to-side motion when operating at normal track speeds. For whatever reason, this doesn't seem to be nearly as much of a problem with the other Big Macs (70 series and 80 series). I'm not sure if it's a problem at lower speeds (less than 40).
I have seen this on the 90's that we have here on the VTR, I use a term to describe it taken from the Volkswagen community, the "Death Wobble". When the engines are pulling, and/or on welded rail. it doesn't seem to be very noticeable. However, on bolted rail if the engines are coasting, or not pulling hard it can become quite pronounced. The CEFX 130 was quite bad in this respect, one of the hardest riding engines I have ever operated actually. The 125 is a close second. The 105 seems to be the better riding unit of the three. I haven't had a chance to get it up to 40 yet, but at 25 on bolted rail it rides and tracks fine.

When they work, they are great units. They pull like nothing we have, the dynamic brakes are mind boggling good compared to our 40 year old 40's and 38's, and they actually have AC! However, they are quite unreliable. Not mechanically, but they seem to have lots of computer and sensor issues. I would imagine that the units on the MMA are no different, especially since they have been sitting, these units do not respond well to that. We cut our fault issues by at least 1/4 by using the units regularly.
 #1230708  by MEC407

Does anyone know the current status of the ex-UP SD90MACs stored at Derby? They had been listed for sale on the Ozark Mountain Railcar web site for quite some time, and then a few months later Ozark changed it to an auction listing. That listing is now gone, so I was wondering if anyone bought them at the auction. If so, it would be interesting to know who the winning bidder was and how much they paid.
 #1230730  by MEC407

Interesting. That sounds like they didn't get any bids at the auction... or perhaps they had a reserve price which wasn't met by any of the bidders...?