Railroad Forums 

• Bangor & Aroostook equipment still around

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#878558  by Watchman318

The thread about the ex-BAR caboose being rescued by the CT Trolley Museum led me to start this.
I haven't been up Rt. 27 in Wiscasset for awhile, but there was a caboose there that had BAR markings. Minus its trucks, I think it was being used as a fried clam stand near a campground. I don't recall if it had a number on it.
If Riffian or anyone working on a database wants more info, let me know.

Along Rt. 1 in Warren, near the junction of Rt. 90, there's a BAR boxcar or reefer, probably being used for storage. I stopped and looked it over once, but that was a few years ago. Didn't take any pics, and can't recall its number, either.
Again, if anyone wants more info for a modeling project or anything, I'll see what I can find out.
 #878718  by Ocala Mike

Apropos of this thread, and realizing that freight rolling stock seems to last forever, are there still any "STATE OF MAINE" boxcars riding the country's rails? Have seen lots of ancient freight cars on the CSX trains that go through Ocala, including lots of "fallen flag" reporting marks, but don't think I've spotted any BAR "STATE OF MAINE" cars.
 #878720  by citystation1848

Well, I can add to the list for a few items...

Seashore Trolley Museum, Kennebunkport, Maine
C-40, 1915 American Car & Foundry caboose
#6582, 1926 MDT wooden refrigerator car

Route 1, Wells, Maine
C-??, caboose
 #878896  by jwhite07

[quote}Apropos of this thread, and realizing that freight rolling stock seems to last forever, are there still any "STATE OF MAINE" boxcars riding the country's rails?[/quote]

The "State of Maine Products" scheme first appeared on BAR (and NYNH&H too!) 40-foot insulated boxcars in the early 1950s, but these cars are long gone. There was another group of 50-foot boxcars in the early 1960s painted in that scheme as well... I suspect they are all long retired too. Most of them did not keep that paint scheme for their entire operating career anyway. It was cheaper to repaint them into a more simplified and standard scheme when the time came to send them through the paint booth.

To my knowledge there is only one existing in-service car in the classic "State of Maine Products" scheme, and it's not technically a BAR car at all. It is MMA 1, which was painted in the historic scheme to mark its status as being one of the first (if not *the* first) cars refurbished by MMA's Derby Shops shortly after they assumed ownership of the former BAR. A few photos (none mine):

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=188437
http://rrnne.net/MMA%201.htm
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20100 ... 429512.jpg
 #878909  by RonM

At one time in the 80's the CT Trolley Musuem had two BAR coaches with the intention of restoring them to use behind the Moore Keppel Co Climax 3. I believe Strasburg purchased them. Don't know what happened after that.

Then there's the BL2 in Honesdale and the "Lackawanna" F3's in PA

Isn't one of the cabooses on the Grafton and Upton ex BAR?
 #879043  by calaisbranch

I can think of at least three places where I know of a gold BAR potato cars. Likely five. They're spread out mostly in private yards, but a few come to mind (one on Route 46 in Bucksport, one on Route 102 in Tremont, and another along Route 11 near the Newport/Palmyra line.) It seems like BAR had a fire sale when retiring those things.
 #879056  by H.F.Malone

RMNE in Connecticut has BAR 2569, a 40-foot insulated plug door "State Of Maine" boxcar. It was built 1953 and was donated by BAR in 1989, complete with heater unit. Not a refrigerator car, primarily used for potato loadings.

Also at RMNE is BAR caboose C-67, built 1947 by Derby Shops on the steel underframe of an old MDT wood-sided refrigerator car. This car is privately-owned.
 #879198  by jbvb

The Shelburne Falls (MA) museum has one of the BAR's Osgood Bradley lightweights ("American Flyer" type, like the B&M and NH cars of the 1930s). I am far from my pictures and I can't recall if it was one of the straight coaches or the ?coach-buffets? (I'm also far from my references).
 #879742  by BM6569

calaisbranch wrote:I can think of at least three places where I know of a gold BAR potato cars. Likely five. They're spread out mostly in private yards, but a few come to mind (one on Route 46 in Bucksport, one on Route 102 in Tremont, and another along Route 11 near the Newport/Palmyra line.) It seems like BAR had a fire sale when retiring those things.
Yeah, there were 4-5 sitting behind International Door Corp on Westminster St in Lewiston. No trucks but all intact with markings. They recently scrapped 2 or 3 and 2 are left.

Warren
 #880525  by litz

They're not in New England, but we have BAR 105 and 106 (passenger coaches) on the Blue Ridge Scenic RR (in GA) ... as well as the BAR 114 baggage car (formerly used as our concession car, now out of the consist due to condemned wheels) ...

- litz
 #880576  by calaisbranch

I wasn't going to do it, but I couldn't help including this in the current thread. I was draining an old place in Stockton Springs in November and happened to see this through some trees from the driveway. I don't think it's anything legit, but somebody likes trains! On the other side, there are built-in cages to resemble bay windows for a chicken shed. Just with some fine detail!

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... 022014.jpg
 #880604  by Watchman318

litz wrote:They're not in New England, but we have BAR 105 and 106 (passenger coaches) on the Blue Ridge Scenic RR (in GA) ... as well as the BAR 114 baggage car (formerly used as our concession car, now out of the consist due to condemned wheels) ...
Looks like you get the prize for "farthest from home shops." ;)
Are you going to get some new wheels for the 114?
calaisbranch wrote:I wasn't going to do it, but I couldn't help including this in the current thread. I was draining an old place in Stockton Springs in November and happened to see this through some trees from the driveway. I don't think it's anything legit, but somebody likes trains!
Kinda odd, but with the ACI label and all, it sure looks like part of the side of a boxcar. Some sort of 1:1 "kitbashing" project. :-D